Need some advice on starting a portfolio

Started by
1 comment, last by Kylotan 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm currently a sophomore in college and majoring in Computer Science. Honestly I've been bumming out for a while now, but I want to change and start thinking about my future. I want to start making side projects so I can expose myself to different things and then eventually start applying for internships to gain experience. I really haven't done much coding outside of class, so I'm stuck on where I should begin and what fundamentals would be good to learn through making small side projects. I'm currently about to finish Java 2 with an A, so I have a pretty good understanding of all those basic concepts. Java is really the only language that I've worked with. I did a bit of Python in highschool but don't really remember it, and I'm taking an Intro to C class next semester. Do you guys have any recommendations on what side projects I should attempt to make or any other fundamentals I should learn? I really want to be prepared so I can get an internship sometime next summer or earlier. Thank you!

Advertisement

If you want to work in games then the 2 top languages are C++ and C#. In your specific situation I would recommend downloading the Unity engine and using that to teach yourself C#. It is a very similar language to Java and you can get quick results with Unity. Make some small and simple games in Unity and that will go a long way to showing that you can contribute to a game development team in future.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement