🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Education

Started by
0 comments, last by DerekDay 24 years, 3 months ago
Hey... I was just wondering what game developers or just developers in general think about going to college for CompSci. How necessary is it in the job field? What are some of the skills that are more readily available in college than simply learning from books or from experimentation. There is obviously a lot in the game developement world that changes so rapidly that it is not applicable to college, but there''s a lot that is not that way as well. I''m just curious, because I am at the stage in my life where I can go to college and get a degree or I can go get a job (which is more attractive, currently). There are benefits to either side of the equation... so any thoughts would be appreciated. -Derek
Advertisement
This point has been pretty much beaten into the ground already on the forum. Also there''s a article on flipcode, I believe, that has answers from industry professionals on the impact of a college degree on hiring.

My personal opinion is that a CS degree helps a lot. It will expose you to a lot of material that you may not think is relevant to your work, but is.

But again, go look for the old posts. They go into mind-numbing detail.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement