🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

POINT OF NO RETURN

Started by
4 comments, last by SPAR 24 years, 3 months ago
I just wanna know, can you de-compile an .exe prog? ??? SPAR1
Advertisement
Yes. You can usually decompile into assembly. Sometimes if you have a debug build you can get higher level information out.
There''s also a .exe file format explanation at www.wotsit.org - pretty advanced though

I think most VB .exe files can be decompiled into almost pure VB code, but I dunno how.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
The older VB .exe files can be as they''re simply a series of calls to the VB run time dll. The newer compile to native code version are essentially the same as a C compiled executable of the same purpose.
The question is, can you really do without VB runtime modules when compiling as native code? This would save alot of installation file space and speed up VB apps.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
From what I''ve heard, it''s possible, but just barely (that is, if you wanna go from exe to the actual source code (not assembly)). I could see why most peeps wouldn''t want you to do this though

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement