Advertisement

DOS Graphics

Started by June 22, 2002 05:52 PM
4 comments, last by Executor Dark Rain 22 years, 2 months ago
I just learned C++, and I was wondering about DOS graphics. Is there an API I need to learn?
Borland used to ship BGI with their DOS compilers. You can use BIOS to put stuff on screen, but the fastest way is to directly access video memory. You don''t really want to do DOS graphics, better learn Win32 and do some stuff with GDI -- it''s much easier.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Advertisement
Moved to beginner forum.
Probably the fastest, best documented (tutorial and source code wise) graphics mode in DOS is mode 13h. Doing a quick Google Search ("mode 13h" c++ tutorial) gives some good links. Gamedev still has a few mode 13 articles kicking around in the Legacy Graphics Section
If you want to do mode13h, check out Asphyxias demotrainers.
But uhm... Why do it? Stick to win32 instead, and spend some time learning DirectX Graphics or OpenGL instead, I''m sorry to say, but DOS is dead ;/

T

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
I haven''t done any DOS graphics stuff, but it''s probably better just to learn a Windows Graphics API such as DirextX or OpenGL. Or, if you really want to get into graphics quickly, a lot of people seem to like the Allegro graphics library.
Peon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement