Advertisement

WHAT DO I DO??

Started by July 07, 2002 08:50 PM
17 comments, last by scottdavis 22 years, 2 months ago
I''ve just started programing and I have the free borland c++ compiler and I have got stuck. I tried typing a simple c++ program in notepad and saved it so it was a .cpp file but when I tried to compile it it turned it into a .bak file what do I do with that and how do I turn it into a .exe?
I use the same compiler but don''t remember having that problem...but are you sure that you are using the right program for compiling (bcc32). Also, be sure that you saved your cfg files correctly. I''ll let you shed some details if you haven''t yet discovered your problem.

And the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes...

--Thunder_Hawk -- ¦þ
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Advertisement
If I open bcc 32 it closes straight away.I use fconvert.
quote: Original post by scottdavis
If I open bcc 32 it closes straight away.

What'd you expect? They're called the "command line tools" . Open it in a console (try "bcc32 /?" or "bcc32 -h" for help). Edit, just incase: to open a console use "command.com" (in Win9x/ME) or "cmd.exe" (in WinNT/2K/XP). Use "cd dirname" to navigate directories.

[edited by - Null and Void on July 7, 2002 10:10:09 PM]
how do i open command.com?
pick run from start menu, and type command.com.

---
visit #directxdev on afternet
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Advertisement
Gsus...On Win2K, goto Run, type "cmd", press enter. On Win95/98 goto Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt (Run->"command.com" might work also). I dunno know about WinXP.

EDIT: Yeah, Indirect was right; Run->"command.com" should work on all Windows. As a note, however, COM files are executable, so you can simply type "command"

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[edited by - zealouselixir on July 7, 2002 10:18:07 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Aha....I think all of the programs there are Dos-based, thus you must use MS-DOS Prompt which is a whole other can of worms. However, I got tired of the time consumption of using it directly....that''s when I discovered batch files! Create a new file in notepad and type this "bcc32 nameofurfile.cpp" save it in the same directory as your file (please do not put your programs in the bin directory ) as compile.bat (or anything.bat) remember to save as type all files. I''m assuming your path has been adjusted properly. If you have no idea what that last sentence was about, please say so and I''ll explain.

If you have any questions please ask.

And the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes...

--Thunder_Hawk -- ¦þ
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
ok ive got that open then what do i type in it?
by that i mean ms-dos prompt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement