🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Good books for Learning C++ Help Me!!

Started by
6 comments, last by MuffinKnight 24 years, 3 months ago
I want to progam but i dont Know C++e "Don't Blame us, blame yourself or God" FFT
"Don't Blame us, blame yourself or God" FFT
Advertisement
If you never programmed, try C++ For Dummies, I heard it was good (ive never read it tho), but DONT buy C for Dummies:
It sucks ass.
I learned from a college book my dad got me (seriously). It
was written by John Hubbard but I dont remember the name.

Well thats my point of view

Edited by - Blah! on 3/22/00 5:20:28 PM
"End Communication!", Kang from Rigel-4
I bought "Practical C++" by Rob Mcgregor.

Its quite useful
c++ for dummies is a pretty good book, but it assumes a knowledge of c, so that may hinder you.
the c++ programming language by bjarne stroustrup is a great book as well ( it better be, he made the language )
A good place to start would be free book sites:

http://www.itknowledge.com (under their "Free Archive" section)

and, to a lesser extent

http://www.informit.com (they used to be MUCH better until they adopted their crappy new format)

This way, you can see which books work the best for you and buy those (or just read them from online or snag them with a web spider, but I tend to like hard copy)

-Chris

---<<>>---
Chris Rouillard
Software Engineer
crouilla@hotmail.com
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com
The book I recommend most is Who''s Afraid of C++. It''s really the best tutorial I''ve seen for folks who aren''t already familiar with C.

As an added bonus, it''s now free!

http://www.steveheller.com/whos/

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I reccamend the C++ by Bjarne Strousoup (spelled wrong..)! I mean, that author is the guy who created C++, so he would know it the best!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
The book is The C++ Programming Language. While it is a comprehensive reference manual, it''s not for beginners. Someone starting out with the language or programming in general would be better off with a step-by-step tutorial.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement