Advertisement

Creating Transparent Backgrounds?

Started by July 10, 2002 07:43 PM
1 comment, last by Jonathon 22 years, 2 months ago
Hey, folks! I''m not planning a career in graphic art. I''m losing my eyesight, so there''s not much point in pursuing THAT. But I do enjoy creating cheesy, very low-end games. When I say "cheesy, very low-end" I mean it! I create all my images in the Paint program that comes with Micro$oft Window$. The .gifs I create are fine for my purposes, but there''s one problem -- they are all opaque. The .gifs have a black background, and I use a black background for the game screen. But I would really prefer to create images with a transparent background. I know there''s an item in one of the Paint menus that reads "Draw Opaque," and I have tried unchecking that box, but that hasn''t worked. And as usual, the help documentation, while mildly entertaining, hasn''t been at all helpful. Does anyone know what I need to do to create transparent backgrounds in Paint? I''d appreciate your help. Jonathon
quote: "Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush "When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu
Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
I don´t know if it´s possible to create gifs with transparency in paint, I´m not sure if that´s what you mean. Why don´t you simply use a transparency color for your game (a color which is never used anyway, like 255-0-255?
Advertisement
Thank you for responding. Actually, I figured it out the other day. It can be done -- it''s just tedious. If anyone else is interested, here''s the process:

[ol]
[li]Create a new .bmp in Paint [br]
[li]Open that .bmp [br]
[li]Resave as a .gif file [br]
[li]Open that .gif [br]
[li]Go to Images => Attributes and check the Draw Transparent box
[li]Choose a color to be used for transparency
[li]Doodle, and save your work (so you don''t have to do this all over again.)
[/ol]

It''s really not as bad as it sounds. And since my images are pretty simple anyway, it''s been easy to fix them up. Whoopie!

Jonathon
quote: "Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement