Advertisement

Sams

Started by July 14, 2002 03:13 PM
8 comments, last by stevelevesque 22 years, 2 months ago
Is the C++ book called Sams'' "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" or Sams "teach yourself C++ in 21 days." People have posted both and if there is both which is better for a beginner. Thanks When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail
~When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail.www.instinctz.net
There are both books. 21 days and 24 hours. I read the 21 days one, and it goes into more detail of C++ than the shorter versions, and it covers more ground with more examples. Same author, longer chapters. I think that Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days is a very good book for a beginner. It covers enough information to get you to understand a more advanced book. It also talks about C too. But be careful, it teaches the newest C++ standard, and many other programming books use the older standard. The author explains the difference between the two, and if you keep his advice in mind, you shouldn''t have any problems along the way.

After you finish that book, I suggest reading C++: The Complete Reference. It isn''t a teaching guide, but is similar to an instruction book. There is a review of this book on this site, so be sure to look at that.
---Will DDR for food.
Advertisement
Would The C++ Programming Language be a good book to read after understanding Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days. i have both and i will read both but i am wondering if reading both is good or a waste of my time.

thanks

When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail
~When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail.www.instinctz.net
BEWARE! I believe the 24 hour one is actually ''Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 24 hours.'' If that''s the case, IT IS NOT ABOUT THE C++ LANGUAGE; it''s about Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (introductory edition is on the CD with it), and MFC - not something you want to use if you plan on becoming a game programmer.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

You know what''s worse than "Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 24 Hours"? "Visual C++ in 12 Easy Lessons". I had the crappy luck to buy that way back when I didn''t know anything about anything. "12 Easy Lessons" teaches Visual C++ 1.0 *choke* *gasp* *cough* etc.

Back on topic, I like the 21 days book a lot. It''s great, and it''ll teach a beginner plenty.

Things are not what they are.
As a newbie I have "Sams Teach Yourself in 21 Days" and "C++ for dummies". I too believe that "Sam''s Teach Yourself in 21 Days" is an excellent book however, I am one of those slow learners. Well not that slow but I do need guidance as everyone does. Anyways, I''m going off track here (*slap*), "Sam''s Teach Yourself in 21 Days" is the right book to read but two things to remember when reading: first you won''t learn C++ in 21 days and believe me don''t try you''ll get frustrated and quit. Second, get another book such as "C++ for dummies" which has a pretty good home budget programme and explains the code pretty well. Just to fine tune your programme besides it never hurts to know. Icould be wrong, but sometimes I wonder about myself.

Good Luck
When the world has got you down, that's when you strike back and show them who you really are.
Advertisement
I would recommend C++ the complete reference. I''ll be getting it here myself. It''s pretty cheap and has a ton of information. I have Java 2 the Complete Reference by the same author. My Java class professor used the Java 1 edition for out programming class (the computer labs were set up with 1.1). We had to buy these atrocious books that were used department wide. I think we did maybe one assignment out of it and then the rest was all out of the Java Complete Reference book.

After the class was finished I used the book to help me make a GUI calculator, something I always fancied doing. I was able to get it going within a couple of hours with that book.
Personally I think SAMS books suck. I reccommend "Essential C++" by Stanley Lippman and "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo. This series is written by some of the worlds foremost C++ experts and edited by Strostroup ("inventor" of C++). Jesse Liberty, in comparison, is just some nobody with a computer and some time on his hands. This might be okay but I find his teaching methods suspect. class Cat? member function Miaow()? What''s the point of this sort of thing? I think people learn better from workable, real world examples. Anyway that''s just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Superpig: There is a 24 hour pure C++ version, I picked it up a year or so ago ''cos it was going out cheap. Not sure how different it is to the 21 day version though.
what about the Deitel & Deitel book "How To Program in C++"? Ages ago I used the Java version and it was a marvelous, if not fantastic (seriously) newbie book. AFAIK it''s extremely used in Colleges and Universities worldwide.

The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement