🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

why the PS2 is so UGLY?

Started by
23 comments, last by MASARANDUBA 24 years, 3 months ago
today when i are coming back from school and i have displeasure of se the PS2 and it is the uglyest videogame of ever, even my atari 2600 is pretier just think about it give me creeps!!!! ( possibily i will have a nightmare this night)
Advertisement
As long as it doesn''t have a top-loading CD, it''s got my blessing. It''s a pain fitting my current PS in my stereo cabinet, as I''ve gotta give it room for the top-loading CD.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

"It''s not too ugly! You''re just too pretty!"

an old saying... I don''t think it''s ugly though. Think it looks kinda cool actually.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
ugly!!!! how can you say ugly!! well, it may be ugly, but im still excited like no other for it. DVD, Surround Sound, 128 bit, Final Fantasy 10, 11, online capabilities, CD-PLAY, did I mention DVD?
What else? A loading screen that is different each time you start the beast up? 3D-Animated menu card icons?? what is ugly about this beautiful beast?
a pic for the uninformed, please?
go to any respectable console game site, www.videogames.com will have a lot, or somewhere like that.
DVD? Oh, you mean the software that ugly-fies a movie, and is stored on a memory card that is more than willing to wipe the PS2''s BIOS, making the console a piece of useless junk? Also the software that allows you to play DVDs from any region, and therefore has the DVD people threatening to sue Sony?

They should, perhaps, have made it work, rather than ship on time...

Still, given that I won''t be able to buy one (and then legall play games on it) until November, I imagine that they''ll have these ''minor'' issues sorted out.

And Ridge Racer 5 does look so very, very sexy...

TheTwistedOne
http://www.angrycake.com
TheTwistedOnehttp://www.angrycake.com
I suppose I should make a comment that''s actually relevant to the topic

I think the PS2 looks lovely. It takes a little getting used to, but it''s so much better than the grey slab that is PS1.

Or Dreamcast, come to think of it, which looks too similar to a SNES for my liking.

TheTwistedOne
http://www.angrycake.com
TheTwistedOnehttp://www.angrycake.com
I have to say that when we recieved our PS2 I wasn''t impressed. It the bulbous box thing on the bottom that I don''t like. It''s like they designed the box, but couldn''t fit everything in and then just stuck another slightly smaller box underneath.

So has anybody played a game on it yet that''s blown them away? I haven''t. I''ve plaayed two and thought - my PC could do that!!

I know I should shut up and wait for developers to get to grips with it. Its just that I think that there should have been some ''eye candy'' games for it so that we could all see what it was capable of. Even if it was a techie demo with no gameplay that came bundled with the PS2.

Any way, just my thoughts....
today i have done a a new and slowly look and still ugly to me...
i have seen two games SF EX3 and RR5 and they look sooo...
when i see the sonic adventure for the first time i almost swoon (this is the right word?)but when i see the PS2 games i said ,ok it is nice but now i don´t belive in that 10M poligons ,and i dont see the so talked blue leds!

and it also cost 2 x 856 R$ and a R$(brazilian money)cost 1,70 dollars !!!!

(today i also meet a guy in the "store" that wanted to buy one but is wife don´t wonna mess up the living decoration with that ugly black box, really!!!!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement