🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Color/Colour

Started by
16 comments, last by GEo 24 years, 3 months ago
Do any other British programmers out there get really annoyed by having to use color rather than colour? It''s not normally a problem except when you''ve got variables using the correct (sorry, British) spelling, and procedures (or whatever) written by someone else that use the American spelling. Compilers ought to have a option to select whether to use Color or Colour, that would be pretty cool B) George. "Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Advertisement
what compiler are u talking about? Qbasic?

=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
[Confused] (There is no confused Emoticon)

QBasic?

I use VC++ 6, but why is that relevant?

I''m talking about any compiler, take for example the DirectDraw constant DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY (this one doesn''t very often cause problems with me, but it''s an example), this is not specific to any compiler.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Yeah, The word color pops up when I''m trying to debug. And I look at the word color and think it''s wrong. Making it harder to spot the mistakes in the source code. - From And English Man
Okay, I''m a brit. I''m also *very* patriotic. However the britsh/american spellings are something that I don''t really care about. When it comes to programming I just use what everybody else uses - which happens to be the american spellings.

Why? Well it comes down to consistency. If the API has a function called SetMaximized then I''m not going to start having a variables called maximised -- I''ll call it maximized to be consistent.

Computer programming has its own language so I see the fact that ''color'' is used in a computer program as being part of the language.

However, when I write a letter or something, I just write ''colour'' without thinking about it.

My two pennies anyway (or is it cents??)

Mark Allen
The problem here is that American English is the "standard" language used for computers, so I guess that color is something we have to live with.

I myself gets a bit annoyed about color and colour. I use colour since I live here in UK (even if I''m a Swede!!) and get sometimes really tired of correcting errors were I typed colour insted of color. Anyway...that''s life...at the moment!

/Mr K
Sorry about this, it''s my post, the one above!!!
Well, it actually says in the end, but anyways....

Take care!!!
Btw QBasic is''nt a compiler =)
Just an IDE (with an interpreter)..
But QuickBasic in the other hand has a compiler.
I think 3.0 was the first version.
And it was released before QBasic 1.1 so on.
Same goes for quickbasic 4.5.
QB1.1 is just a stripped version of the compiler
based Quickbasic language
I was thinking about the keyword "COLOR" in qb...

C doesent have a keyword called COLOR, if you use it, its beacuse the #includes you are using or whatever...

right?
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Are there any British API''s out?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement