🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Color/Colour

Started by
16 comments, last by GEo 24 years, 3 months ago
Okay, this is the silliest thing i''ve ever seen. I''m Canadian and I spell it colour as well, however, I''ve never had a problem spelling it COLOR while programming... I''ve also never had a hard time typing DIR, DEL or REN in the old DOS days... and they really aren''t in my "canadian" vocabulary either. In other words, if you are getting REALLY upset about the aesthetics of the spelling of a word while PROGRAMMING a computer, maybe you should get out some crayons and become an artist instead...

Sorry for the harshness, but come on people, what a ridiculous topic...

SPLiCE
Advertisement
GEo wasn''t getting upset, just annoyed.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Well, color is one less character long than colour so, it''s easier reading and takes less time to type

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
That''s a good argument
Why dont we just spell it phonetically?

--TheGoop
I''m Indian, and we use the Brit system too... and I get really pissed of when a compiler ''corrects'' my spelling. I agree, compilers should have an option to toggle b''ween Brit and Yankee spellings.
/ // / |< <-
I think as a protest we should all spell it the British way in our code. It wouldn''t compile, but if we got enough people doing it, the api designers would be forced to change their spelling eventually or the whole industry would collapse...

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

[Back in college after the weekend, and trying to keep up with last weeks posts ]

It isn''t a big deal, and very rarely causes hastle, it''s just whenever I have to type "color" I think "grrrrrr..." if you know what I mean

Benjamin: Nice one brother, I always use "Colour" in protest Maybe one day I''ll become a really kick ass (or should that be arse?) programmer working on the next version of VC++, and I''m gonna spell Colour just to annoy everyone, in the same way they annoy me... HA HA HA HA HA

I don''t think the industry would collapse though, just in the UK and India.

I just think it would be good if you could set up your compiler to recognise colour instead of color.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement