Advertisement

I have some questions! Please help answer them

Started by August 08, 2002 05:04 PM
5 comments, last by sharpgames 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I am new to programming and I have a few questions. 1) I am fifteen, and I wish to persue a career in video game programming, do I need to start learning now? 2) Should I be learning programming before I go to College/University? 3) What coarses should I take in College/University that I need to become a programmer and what modern game programming jobs require now adays. 4) How long did it take for you to learn c++/c programming language. 5) Do you have any tips for me? 6) What age did you start to learn programming? Thank you for your answers :D [Removed the caps from the title. They were very annoying. / Yann] [edited by - Yann L on August 8, 2002 6:49:28 PM]
WARNING! The following post will corrupt your mind? Continue? [Y/N]
I have a tip, cut back on the caps!

Its not knowing the path but walking it.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
Advertisement
1) Yes
2) God yes
3) BS/c Computer Science is defacto standard. Though computer games courses can help or a good demo to send to the company etc.
4) In all honesty theres always more to learn (well atleast for me)
5) Take it slowely, don''t try to do much too soon and don''t expect to be doing a 3D engine straight away, it takes alot of time to get to this level.
6) 12

Ballistic Programs
1. yes.
2. yes.
3. programming. software stuff. math.
4. Still learning it.
5. Click the "For Beginners" link.
6. 7

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
I''m a professional game programmer, but I didn''t start programming until my 2nd year of college. So it''s not necessary to start now, but there''s no reason not to either. You''ll be ahead of most people by the time you get to college.

There weren''t any specific college courses that I took that really helped me get a job. If there''s a game programming course offered, then great, but most likely you''ll have to do game projects outside of schoolwork.

One last tip: Wait till you''re comfortable with C/C++ before starting games. There''s a lot of fundamental stuff you should learn, and you can do a lot more with programming than just games. See if you can take a class at a community college.
1) It would be a good idea to. Experience is everything. The more you have the better off you will be.

2) Same as 1, the more the merrier

3) Like afore mentioed BS in CS, but everyone is getting them so they mean little nowadays. This is much better: Once you're good enough create a game that is short, so you can actaully finish it, and uses a great deal of what you've learned over time. Send it to whomever. If its good then well you just might squeeze into the game industry.

4) Learn it ? you mean to the point that I could actually make something useful with it, such as a graphics engine? If its that, then a few weeks to a month. But then, I knew QBasic quite well and, much of the stuff carried over. Alas, I have much yet to learn befire I become a... GURU

5) Tips? Become a master at debugging. Install a compiler in your head, Get good at compiling the code im your mind, you get me? the debugger is your friend not your enemy. Become well acquainted with errors, trust me on this one, they visit you less and less the more you know them, strange huh? You getting me?

6) 13

The key is to remain open minded and become friends with time instead of making him your enemy.

I think Shareware is the best route, we must return to our roots. Corporations are evil. Make them game yourself and sell it through shareware, if its good enough you'll make it with no requirements but the one you set.

[edited by - Daerax on August 9, 2002 2:29:18 AM]

[edited by - Daerax on August 9, 2002 2:35:29 AM]
Advertisement
Not in the game buisness but I do other programming so I might answer as well.

1. It might be a good idead. Why do you want to get into video game industry? Programming can be very frustrating at times and I imagine game industry no easy thing with deadlines and high standards to reach up to. Also think of that there are many more aspects of game industry than programming.

2. Not necessarily, but it''ll help.

3. Programming (prefferably c/c++ if you ask me) if you go for the programming part of games..otherwise I can''t say for certain.

4. Still learning it, been programming it for about 2-3 years and I''d like to think that I''m fairly good at it. And I also had experience of several other languages before I started with C++ (mainly basic and pascal)

5. Hm..have patience, explore, have fun

6. 8, been doing it for 10 years now.

-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement