🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Could someone enlighting me re scripting langauge

Started by
1 comment, last by Slyxsith 21 years, 10 months ago
What exactly does scripting do.. Could someone please spare me an example of how I would use scripting and are there any good public license scripting engines out there for 3d game development? I apologize for the noob questions but I really dont have a solid grasp of what scripting entails and I''m tryin gto help reseach some stuff on it. Thank you everyone for your time on this. Mark M.

Mark MacPherson
Flybynight Studios: Owner
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration

Advertisement
Imagine a game where each and every character required unqiue AI to react. Or a game where you can turn an electric switch on to turn on a fan 3 floors above, which would be one of hundreds of tasks that could be performed. Using scripts can make things like this pretty simple after you get the engine set up. I always use linked lists for my scripts. There are 3 node types. Events, Conditions, and Actions. Just put a true and false link in the node, and maybe some arguments, and have the actions invoke functions. Events would be nothing more than a pointer showing where to start running through the list. Of course something like this requires making an editor, which is not too much fun.

Jiia
Why not do a search on Google for "scripting languages"? That should give you a heap of links for your research. Also look up Python and Lua for 2 of the more popular scripting languages today used in game development. And look up java-script and VBScript while you''re at it.

Scripting in the context of computer programming is generally thought of as ''simple programming'', and tends to be at a higher and more abstract level than the ''real'' programming. You use it when you don''t want to have to recompile the program just to make a simple change, or when you want non programmers to be able to modify the system, or even when you just want a simpler and less error-prone language available for developing your game logic.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement