Advertisement

whats the best compiler to use?

Started by September 03, 2002 04:44 PM
23 comments, last by articwolf3805 22 years ago
im currently learning with dev c++ and i was wondering if there was something out there more user friendly or better...thanks!
Come to the arctic domain!http://articdomain.netfirms.com
Nope, Dev-C++ is a great IDE, using a great compiler (MingW). MS Visual C++ may be a little better, but Dev-C++ is hard to beat since it is free.

[500 Errors: 2]

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.try2hack.|.torn.|
Advertisement
Or u could just dl any version of Visual c++ for free....but no....that''s illegal....I''m sure you''d rather spend 500 dollars for a legal version...yeah...you go do that...
Well, if you have the money I would suggest using Microsoft Visual C++ 6. But if you are low on the dough, then I would recommend either Borland C++ Builder over at http://www.borland.com or Bloodshed DEV-C++ over at http://www.bloodshed.net .

All three of those compilers are good. Microsoft Visual C++ 6 is the best out of the three and Borland comes in second place with DEV-C++ following closely behind it in 3rd place. Good luck.

quote: Original post by Furion
Or u could just dl any version of Visual c++ for free....but no....that''s illegal....I''m sure you''d rather spend 500 dollars for a legal version...yeah...you go do that...

Gah! Where did that number come from, anyway? I''ve heard so many people say that! It''s only about 100, people. Not that that makes your point any different, but you''re exaggerating the price five fold. I can''t even figure out where 500 came from! Do you people mean the upgrade of Visual Studio? (which is a lot more than just VC++, BTW)

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
quote: Original post by wikedgamer
Well, if you have the money I would suggest using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.

I''m wondering why you didn''t say Visual C++ 7 (included in Visual C++.NET Standard for $99 and Visual Studio.NET for a bit more).

The executables that VC7 generates are generally faster than their VC6 counterparts, especially if you use Link-Time Code Generation. (Link-Time Code Generation not included in VC.NET Standard.) Even without LTCG, the executables are slightly faster in general. In addition, VC7 is more "standards-compliant" than VC6. (Standards compliance IS included in VC.NET Standard.)

RomSteady - Test Locally, Test Globally, Test Early, Test Often
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by wikedgamer
All three of those compilers are good. Microsoft Visual C++ 6 is the best out of the three and Borland comes in second place with DEV-C++ following closely behind it in 3rd place. Good luck.

I don''t know what scale you used, but MSVC 6.0 has the worst compiler of those when it comes to standards compliance.
I think the scale is probably user friendliness...
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I recommended VC++ 6 because i''ve never had a problem with it!
GCC always does what it's supposed to, and it's free! It uses a command-line interface, but that really isn't an issue if you know how to write a makefile (and it doesn't take more than about 5 minutes to learn how).
Also, it's fast. No gui means virtually no loading time.

[edited by - Cloral on September 4, 2002 2:54:41 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement