🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

do they ...?

Started by
2 comments, last by AlbertoT 21 years, 10 months ago
First,I have already asked this question... some time ago,I have been scolded by a moderator for asking two times the same question... I try at least to change the words . Do real games actually use neural networks, fuzzy logic, genetic alghoritms etc? if so which ones? I went through some commercial games , the AI seems to be based on " the common sense " , maybe some simple FSM implementation but you do not need, for sure, to read a 1000 pages AI book. In particular I am designing a SIM like game. The human charachters should have unpredictable but logic and, most important ," psicologicaly " consistent reactions, as far as you can expect from a virtual charachter , of course. I suppose that FSM\Fuzzy logic is the best solution am I right? thanks in advance
Advertisement
http://www.gameai.com/games.html
Genetic Programming used to develop bots in Unreal Tournament. This was a Master's project but consider the application to industrial development.

http://www.cs.auc.dk/~gekko/

Also check out the book Blondie24 by one of the Fogel boys. Evolution of neural nets to play checkers which was then unleashed on the internet game boards and beat the pants off everybody. Not bad.

cedricl - Didn't I send you an article related to Genetic Algorithms for strategy game AI some time back? If you're the right person, and you haven't found it yet, check out Cloak, Dagger, & DNA - it's free to download and it is the game from that article.

-Kirk

[edited by - KirkD on September 13, 2002 8:24:29 AM]

[edited by - KirkD on September 13, 2002 8:41:50 AM]
Great link Kirk. I've not seen that before.

I read Blondie24 a couple of weeks ago. An excellent easy going read.

"Do real games actually use neural networks, fuzzy logic, genetic alghoritms etc? if so which ones?"

What's a fake game then? (Oh yeah, American Football.. ;0) )

Neural Networks have been used in Colin MacCrae Rally2 and Creatures. Perceptrons in B&W. I've also heard of developers using them to debug their games. (you can use a ANN to stress test the physics for example).

GAs are used more and more frequently to tweak computer player characteristics. The Quake3 bots for example were developed using GAs.

I believe fuzzy logic is used in many games, typically in the design of Fuzzy FSMs.

ai-junkie.com

[edited by - fup on September 13, 2002 9:50:44 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement