🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

NNs with linear Activation describes only linear models?

Started by
5 comments, last by Dwiel 21 years, 9 months ago
I was bored in my stats class today and so decided to ''simplify'' some basic neural nets and I found that when the activation function of all of the neurons in linear, I tested f(x)=x but assume that its true with all linear f(x)''s, the net will always produce linear results. I found this by finding a general equation that gave the output of a basic NN given the inputs and weights. Because the weights are constant, you can simplify this massive equation into some much simpeler linear form. Is what I found what other people have found? Basically I just want to know if what ive proven is acurate and if all of y logic is valid. Thanx tazzel3d P.S. this means that the only way to model nonlinear data is through nonlinear activation functions... What functions have you used? Thanx again
Advertisement
Yup. That is completely true. You lose the advantages of multilayer networks when linear activations are used. Feeding a signal though more than one layer of linear activations is no different then what could be obtained from a single layer.

- mongrelprogrammer
- I hate these user ratings. Please rate me down. (Seriously) -
You can just build a nice matrix and multiply it by the inputs to get the outputs. If you want to build it from multiple layers just multiply the matrices togther to obtain a single one.
Hey, thanx for the confirmation. Though i''m still confused about what other activation functions to use... What do you guys use?

thanx for the help!
Sigmoidal or tanh are common, from what (little) I know.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
The tanh has the advantage that it is a linear function around the origin. So start training with very small weight, then initially the hidden units do not contribute and only if they are needed the nonlinearity kicks in (that is the weights of the hidden units grow due to training).
If you train your network using a gradient descent technique then you will usually get better performance from using tanh activations in the hidden units and logistic ones in the output units. I believe the comp.ai.neural-net faq has further details.

ai-junkie.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement