Advertisement

Should I build my own graphics engine or use someone elses?

Started by September 24, 2002 07:01 AM
6 comments, last by IceRaven 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi All, I''ve just started learning OpenGL, been programming in c++ for a few years, thought I would give game development a try. The game I would like to make is a top down RTS using OpenGL. I would like to be able to release the game commercially and I don''t want to pay anything for an engine. (Gee I sound like a right bastard). I would like the engine to work on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Don''t want much do I. Suggestion/recommendations for an engine would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ice Raven.
If you have time, I reckon you should try writing an engine. I recently wrote out a basic 3D engine and I believe its probably the best way to learn about programming for games / graphics etc.

Basically, you will learn all about how to mess around with OpenGL to get what YOU want out of it. And you would probably find yourself jumping into other areas outside of OpenGL (sound, input) as well.

But of course, if you want to dive straight into game programming, I guess ''OGRE'' seems to be a good (FREE) engine.
Advertisement
Hmm can I see the links to your engine and this Ogre?

Thx
Well writing a full "engine" is a very cumbersome task, especially for someone just learning. I'd definately you go out and use a few different game engines to make some of your initial projects. This will help you in the long run to see how to structure your game engine, as well as let you determine which things about a certian engine you like and which you don't like.

After you've played around for abit and have actually completed a game or two you can probably start working on your own engine if you really want to learn more and expand your skills.

As for recomendations I highly suggest using the nebula device game engine. It's a commercial quality game engine that's open source and quite nicely written. www.radonlabs.de is where you can find it. A new game called Project Nomads was written using this game engine.

[edited by - evaclear on September 24, 2002 4:23:21 PM]
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Thanks for the help people,

I''ll have a look at these two engines. But I realise I don''t really know what would make it a good or bad engine, so I''ve decided to go through the book "OpenGL Game Programming" and then decide.

Cheers,
Ice Raven
quote: Original post by IceRaven
Hi All,

I've just started learning OpenGL, been programming in c++ for a few years, thought I would give game development a try. The game I would like to make is a top down RTS using OpenGL. I would like to be able to release the game commercially and I don't want to pay anything for an engine. (Gee I sound like a right bastard). I would like the engine to work on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Don't want much do I. Suggestion/recommendations for an engine would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ice Raven.

Before getting into something you don't completely grasp, learn how to use plain old OGL without any engines. Once you get a bit more familiar with it, then write your own engine.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer |Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]

[edited by - cyberdrek on September 25, 2002 9:11:12 AM]
[Cyberdrek | ]
Advertisement
Ice: OGL Game Programming is an excellent book As you might know from skimming it, you do end up writing a mini-engine in the last few chapters.

I would recommend taking your time reading the book and messing around w/ every example there is. Afterwords, examine how and *why* the engine was designed and coded that way. You should get a few ideas for your own.

And the nebula device is a great engine indeed for trying out things.
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
OGRE is at http://ogre.sourceforge.net/

My 'engine' is at http://tuita.tripod.com. You can download and view the source code, but it is very messy and some parts of it probably will not be understandable (i.e. required external variables etc.) Note that it is definitely not usable for a game or anything like that. Its still far too crappy for anything like that.

[edited by - tuita on September 25, 2002 8:07:59 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement