🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Evaluating your Game Tree??

Started by
1 comment, last by RPGeezus 21 years, 9 months ago
Over the past few days I''ve been adding features to a chess engine I''ve developed, and am trying to find a way to get some emperical data to use in a comparision with other Chess programs. Is there a ''standard'' way of measuring nodes/sec in a game tree? Just saying ''Nodes/Sec'' is rather misleading, as so many branches get pruned off due to Alpha/Beta and transposition, etc... By nodes/sec are people really saying ''evaluations/sec''? Are they saying ''boards generated/sec''? What are they measuring?? My second problem has to do with evaluating the integrity of my engine. I''m not the greatest chess player that''s ever lived, so I really can''t rely on my own judgement most of the time. Is there a list of board/best move pairs out there? I could really use some data that will let me say ''if board = A then best move = B''. Getting the computer to ''avoid'' mate in 1 move isn''t much of a test. If this data doesn''t exist, I would be more than happy to collaborate with somebody to make it available. Any feedback would be much appreciated, Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com
Advertisement
There were some articles about chess programming here, which also dealt with evaluation. Go here and look at the articles Chess Programming part I to VI by Laramee.

Evaluating your engine is actually very easy because chess is deterministic. Just take an other chess engine to test yours. One engine you start with white and the other with black and manually move the pieces in the way the other engine moves. If you use a chess program where you can set the difficulty level, then you can find out at what level your engine starts to loose.

[edited by - smilydon on October 10, 2002 4:18:15 PM]
I''m not talking about an Evaluation Function. I''m concerend with generating performance statistics. What is the common method of measuring nodes/sec?

You can''t play one Chess program against another and consider that a reliable test. For one, each chess program is going to have a different evaluation function, so the right move for two programs could be very different.

What I''m really looking for is a set of "Mate in 6", or "Mate in 10" problems/solutions so that I may independantly test my tree, and make sure my various ''additions'' havn''t caused more harm than good.

Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement