🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

USENET

Started by
5 comments, last by _Teran_ 21 years, 8 months ago
If you don''t know already, there is another forum for game AI discussion. Recently there has been some interesting discussion. It''s possible to browse it via the web: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.ai.games But it''s more comfortable to use a specialized newsreader software. Best regards, Aleks
Advertisement
Does usenet advertise now?
Apparently so!

_Teran_, just to let you know, many people do not read usenet groups because of the hassles involved in posting there. 1) You get so much spam email it''s not funny. 2) Even if you say something correct and intelligent, there''s always some troll who thinks they know better and will hound you until the end of days until you admit they are right. 3) There''s even more spam email, even if you set up a hotmail account (your account is soon overflowing!). 4)The discussions all too readily head off on tangents and it is very rare that anything interesting and decent gets a full and frank discussion before being obliterated by trolls. 5) There''s still more spam!

If you haven''t detected it yet, I''m of the opinion that a large number of people posting to USENET are trolls and that''s it''s just not worth the effort. I did post there for a while but became fed up with it... and the spam!

I much prefer the peace and tranquility of GD.net!

Cheers,

Timkin
Is USENET that bad for legitimate conversations now?

I haven''t used USENET since 1994 for anything but pron.
usenet has its uses... but not for game AI anymore. Local forums like GameDev are much easier to use, more interesting, have much more traffic and, as Timkin points out, are spam/troll free.

ai-junkie.com
quote: Original post by fup
forums like GameDev ... are spam/troll free.

Uh huh...

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote: Original post by fup
usenet has its uses... but not for game AI anymore. Local forums like GameDev are much easier to use, more interesting, have much more traffic and, as Timkin points out, are spam/troll free.

Perhaps I should have said ''relative peace and tranquility''. GD.net certainly gets is share of trolls and spammers, but thankfully they don''t often visit the AI forum!

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement