🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Programmers vs. Windows Programmers

Started by
5 comments, last by podbuster 21 years, 9 months ago
Who is needed most, Game Programmers or Windows Programmers? I understand that there are a lot of upcoming games and software that call for more programmers but I just wanted know who is needed more, Game Programmers or Windows Programmers? PodBuster
Advertisement
In essence, a game programer ( for the Windows platform ) is a specialized Windows programmer. Since games are just a fraction of the types of applications out there, the answer is windows programmers just because it is the superset.
If you're a games programmer, you're pretty much a Windows programmer. However, that depends on exactly what you mean by "Windows programmer" and "Games programmer". Do AI people count as game programmers? Because they don't necessarily have to know Windows, etc. Most games only have a few hundred lines in WinMain for initialization and stuff, and everything else is handled through special classes. For example, I've seen a method where you create a kernal class that switches between tasks. You then add tasks to the kernal and run the kernal. Keeps everything clean One of those tasks is the game logic, and viola...

[edited by - Zipster on October 15, 2002 3:41:25 AM]
As Taulin said, there''s a far bigger (and often more lucrative) market for general Windows solutions than there is for Windows games specifically. Therefore Windows programmers are probably going to be in more demand.

If you mean within the games industry, I would imagine games programmers - as Zipster said, most well-written games shouldn''t have much "Windows code" in them.
Lets not forget, that there has been a lot of games lately, where both come together hand in hand. Espically with the world builders that are out there..
Ok, Thanks for all the replies. Someone told me that Game Programmers have A LOT more programming stuff to learn than Windows Programmers. I have a fealing this is true considering all of the tutorials that I have seen for OpenGL, DirectX, etc. Anyway, IS this infact true? Also, who has it easier, people who make console games (PS2, XBOX, etc.) or PC software (Word, Excel, etc.)?

PodBuster
You can technically make Windows games without writing a single line of Windows specific code.. Using SDL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement