🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

VB5 APE

Started by
14 comments, last by PyroBoy 24 years, 2 months ago
Anyone out there know how the hell you use the Application Performance Explorer (APE) that comes with VB5? It kinda looks like it''s only used to measure network performance. Is there any way to profile code with it to find bottlenecks, timings, etc.?
Advertisement
the best way to optimize your program for maximum speed is not to write it in VB!!!!
ok, unless u''re doing a program that''s not to supposed to handle big tasks, or if u wanna write a program quickly, then VB would be useful

but i dont rrecommend making DX games with VB (if that''s what u''re doing)

- pouya
quote: Original post by PyroBoy

Anyone out there know how the hell you use the Application Performance Explorer (APE) that comes with VB5? It kinda looks like it''s only used to measure network performance. Is there any way to profile code with it to find bottlenecks, timings, etc.?

Yes, I think it is only for network testing. Visual Basic is really designed for database development and not for games. Even though it was not designed for games, they can still be written in Visual Basic. Don''t believe the non believers.
People, I didn''t ask whether VB was a good game language or not. I know it isn''t. I''m doing it anyway because I like to spend my time learning instead of fighting a compiler. Besides, using an inherently slow language forces you to become a faster coder to compensate! :-)
Thanks for the tip nes8bit. I kinda suspected as much because all the options have to do with client/server relationships and ping times and the like...

Follow-up question - does anyone know where I can get a program that WILL analyse a VB program for timings and bottlenecks?
heh, i posted that message cuz i had no idea what u were talking about (APE) so i just wanted to have said something

the answer to your second question: I still have no idea what u''re tlaking about, but i ask again: why dont u use c? (cuz that way i might know what u''re talking about)

hehe, no help from me, ey?

- pouya
You don''t know what the hell I''m talking about but you go out of your way to open your yap anyways... Typical Ontarian!!
I believe I covered why I''m using VB in my last post. Have someone read it to you if you''re having trouble.

Anyone have a real answer? Anyone?????
hehe, i''m gonna post a message here anyway and i''m gonna tell u that i have no idea what u want and i dont wanna know

btw: chill out, angry ppl are more in danger of getting heart attack

- pouya
Who''s angry? I''m just amazed you''re still talking!! :-)
u gonna stay amazed for a while cuz i''m gonna keep talking. and still have no clue what u''re talking about *L*

sorry to piss u off, i will stop now

- pouya
btw, what do u mean by "a typical ontarian" ?????

- pouya

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement