🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DSL or Cable?

Started by
2 comments, last by Stoffel 24 years, 2 months ago
For many reasons, I''m looking at moving to a high-speed connection at home. Which is the best way to go here? I live in a well-populated area (San Diego, CA), so I think both are available. I''ve looked at the commercial info, but there seems to be a lot of veiled half-truths and obfuscation going on. Here are the questions I have--maybe someone here can answer them? 1) Which is faster? Theoretically AND experimentally. 2) Which is cheaper? 3) What''s the equipment? My main problem is that I have a laptop at home, so internal cards are not going to be able to work for me. I have an ethernet PC card, but I don''t know if the equipment can use that or not. 4) Anything else I should know? TIA, GDers.
Advertisement
1) Theoretically, cable should be faster, but experimentally, it depends on the area that u live, cuz your whole area shares a cable hub, so if u''re living in a very populated area, u gonna have some lags in cable connection. my area is ok, i''m one of the 4 or 5 ppl in our street who are using cable, so i have something like 400kb/sec bandwidth most o the times

2) Here, in Toronto, the price is almost the same (cable $40/month, and DSL $35/month)

3) i haven''t personally tried DSL, but i know that i can connect my cable modem to any computer i want, since it has a ethernet-to-USB connector, i connect it to my computer using USB, not ethernet. so if your laptop has a USB port, u can use it!

4) umm, i think that''s pretty much it. but i think someone who has DSL and knows more about it should post something for you too, cuz i dont know too much about DSL

- pouya
DSL is cheaper and faster. Easy too.
Originally had cable. Downtimes were often and long, and the service was just what you''d expect from your local cable company.

Dumped them six months ago and replaced ''em with DSL. Haven''t regretted doing it for a second. Reliability is much better, and the speed is actually better.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement