🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cross-Platform Installer

Started by
2 comments, last by Fifthcore 24 years, 2 months ago
What is the best Cross-Platform installer. Free is good.
www.ivgdb.com Internet Videogame Database
Advertisement
What platforms?

Only cross-platform one I know of is MindVision''s InstallerVISE, which is available for Windows and Mac. They''re at www.mindvision.com.

There are also a couple of Java-based installers that''ll run on just about anything that runs Java. I think those are only good for installing Java apps, though.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I was going to suggest mindvision too, many people i know have had great success with it (cross paltform). It''s not free tho. As far as paltforms go...windows and mac os are the only platforms which installers are made for...linux/be/*n*x really dont have installers.

C''mon, make your own; is it really that hard to make a program that decompresses and copies files into new directories?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement