🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

freeware paint program?

Started by
9 comments, last by Piksel 24 years, 1 month ago
Any1 know where I can get a decent quality freeware or shareware paint program that can handle at least 16 bit graphics? (I''m getting sick of mspaint)
Advertisement
www.jasc.com

It has a evaluation paint shop pro program that you can use for 30 days.

great!
"If you build it, it will crash."
There''s something called UltraPaint I found it a big buggy but free. Search on the net for
upaint1b.zip.
One of the UK PC magazines has a free version of Sartori(advanced graphics)

ZoomBoy
Developing a 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor, diary, 3D Art resources at
Check out my web-site
Also new links to combat flight sims
Try gimp (www.gimp.org). In Linux the current build is pretty stable once you apply the patch. The latest stable release is also rock solid. In Win32 it''s a bit flaky, but it gets the job done.
I can vouch for win Gimp ,it maybe flaky(?) but at least it doesnt fuck up you bmp file format like photoshop.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
In what way does Photoshop screw-up BMP files?
Get Paint Shop Pro, I have found that while I am still partial to Adobe Photoshop for some really nice looking professional stuff, Paint Shop Pro always seems to come through for ease of use and workability. That is jsut my opinion, but I would go to the Jasc site and get the 30 day trial. 30 days to try it, 30 more before it quits on you.
The GIMP''s pretty good, once you get used to it. Haven''t had as many crashes, I think, as I have with Adobe products.

(Windows 98)

Lack

Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Best make sure you have plenty of RAM for all these programs (could be wrong). I''ve used gimp, psp, and photoshop and I like gimp the best because, well... it''s free and resembles Photoshop more so than Paint Shop Pro. However gimp can be a hog. I was working with gimp and everything was running awefully slow, lots of hard drive accesses, and the like. Next thing I know my laptop restarts. I booted up to the Linux prompt, logged in, and found that 100% of my ext2 partition was used. I looked around uninstalled some stuff and for the life of me couldn''t find the directory that had bloated up. Finally I deleted my .gimp directory and found that only 77% of my ext2 was used. That''s around a quarter of 1.2 GB (or 300-350 MB) of swap! Point of story, buy lot''s of RAM and you won''t see the same problem (and have to go through the hassles of reinstalling all those programs you foolishly uninstalled in the desperate search for hard drive space ).

JoeG
joeG
about.com has a whole long list of freeware art progs. Just do a little huntin'' you should find it.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement