🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

HELP !!!

Started by
2 comments, last by Lynck 24 years, 2 months ago
Ok, I am one of the crappiest C and C++ programmers in the world. But, I do know some Visual Basic 4.0. I want to make a game that is tilebased because I am new at the gaming business. So, I decided to make a RPG Maker for myself. Just until I learn C and then I''ll make the best games in the world! MWHAHAHAHAAHHAHA!!!! Anyways, I need some help. How do I make it so you get a tileset that is on the side, it displays all the tiles. You click on one, and click the map and the tile is displayed on the map. How do you do that with Visual Basic 4.0? And will that work with all the tiles?
Advertisement
First of all, get VB 6.0. Then learn it. Then create a simple game (Pong, Tic Tac Toe for example), do NOT attempt to create an RPG. It''s a huge project, and you should start by doing something smaller.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Not sure if this answers your question, but...
I would recommend the book "The Black Art of Game Programming with Visual Basic" or maybe that last part was flipped around...but anyhow, it covers the BitBlt funtion in there. Are you familiar with it? That may help. Or maybe I took the question the wrong way completely...oh well. And yeah, look into VB 6. Don''t stop coding though
Why''s everyone think you should do something really easy to start off with? I''m a newbie and i''ve just come up with something better than the Quake 3 engine
hehe

"Born of a Broken Man, but not a broken man."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement