Advertisement

My first sample tileset i'm working on :)

Started by December 07, 2002 01:40 PM
8 comments, last by wiseachoo 21 years, 9 months ago
I just started working on a tileset this morning. I like how it''s turning out so far and wanted to share with the rest of you guys. So far i''ve got the basic grass and dirt areas drawn out with cool cartoonish grass fringes. I''ll have to make a water version of the dirt with also some cobblestone-type sidewalks. This is actually really fun when you take the time to think about the multiple layers of your game. Has anyone here got any advice on how to approach making various castles and whatnot? Sample thus far: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~cball/directx/tiles.bmp All comments welcome...i''m shooting for a 2d tile-engine game of sorts similar to Legend of Zelda for SNES or thereabouts. ''Chris
Nice grass and dirt. I can''t tell where the edges are. Nice job. If you''ve read the pixel art tutorials including anime characters, it mentions the game Legend of Mana I think. Just a thought, you might want to make the grass more randomized and detailed with plants and stuff. Just an idea. The fringes look cartoonish if that is what you are going for. Good job.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
Advertisement
Thanks for the compliments. Yea I plan on making some shrubbery and imperfections within the dirt and grass. I''m starting with making clean tiles and ill go back over them with some imperfections. I added in a bit of sidewalk. Just toying around until it becomes a full city of tiles. I figure a few weeds, random stones, maybe some flowers, and some buildings...oh and some weather things like clouds...should make for a great little tileset. I''ll be updating the file as I go. Thanks for checking it out.

''Chris
Just an update: I''ve managed to add some plants and have spent a great deal of time turning the entire tilemapping into the 3d top-down perspective now Now it looks much more cool.

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~cball/directx/tiles.bmp

''Chris
The stone needs some work. It doesn''t really fit with the grass.

Basically the stone looks smooth as hell, while the grass looks bumpy. I think you should add colour irregularities to the stone too.

Todays english... SUCKED
Maybe you would want to use my Map-engine to make maps?
If your interested, just mail me!
Advertisement
The only problem about this is that it''s top-down. If it''s going to be a topdown game, then it''s fine. But if you are planning on making it so you can see the character''s face, then you would need to add a base to the plant, and a little bit of 3d-ness. But I hope it''s not, because it looks great!
--Muzlack
Ganryu: Thanks for the critique, i''ll definitely add some markings to the stones so they ''fit in'' a bit more. I agree, right now they seem a bit too clean.

Pipo DeClown: Thanks for the offer, but i''m actually wanting to do this all on my own. I''m graduating college in May and would like to have a cool game to show which I can claim I did all on my own. I''ve completed smaller games like Tic-Tac-Toe and stuff like that but you need something a bit more ''fun'' to show a person during an interview I feel.

Muzlack: I was intending on keeping it pretty much top-down. I think the perspective is pretty cool. I should have time today to put in some more work.

Just in case you guys were curious, so far it consists of 24 unique 32x32 tiles.
The grass looks a little too bright to me. Tone it down a few shades, add some detail tiles, and roughen up the stone a bit. Still, it''s looking good.
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
Hey Naaga, you chasing down my posts today? hehe...Yea i''ll be going over it soon (probably today), making some detail tiles to overlay on the grass and stone areas. It should improve it a bit But hey, thanks for the good words too, this is my first tileset so i''ve got some things to learn still.

''Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement