🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Build an A.I. Editor

Started by
13 comments, last by Codemonger 21 years, 6 months ago
Build an A.I. Editor, submit it to us, let us test it, judge it, and you can win a free game of X-Hex. This is not a promotion, we are hoping to get people involved with writing an A.I. editor for X-Hex. You could have your editor posted on our site with you getting credit, we will put it in the download section. If you already purchased a X-Hex game we will reimburse you what you paid. Follow the URL for the instructions on how the AI works, to allow you to create an editor. http://www.x-hex.com/AIEditor.asp
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
Advertisement
BS
What''s BS ? (Anonymous Poster ?)
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
Bull Shit !
hahahahaha

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
Isn''t their an age limit to this forum ? I''m new I don''t know ?
I think you got the "BS" answer because your original post is unclear. The way it reads implies that you want someone to do a shed-load of work for, basically, free. It kinda sounds like you want someone to code the AI from scratch.

I have just looked at your website and I think you should alter your post to indicate that it''s not an ''AI Editor'' (as most people understand the meaning of those words) you want, but someone to edit the AI settings. And that this shouldn''t take too long for someone who already understands and enjoys the game.

Your game looks pretty interesting btw. I''m downloading the trial version as I type.

ai-junkie.com
Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it. Opening up the ability for editing the AI settings was a last minute decision, because we thought it would be fun and make interesting gameplay against a host of different computer strategies. You are right I should change the way it is worded. Nothing was intended to put the burden on anyone.

I''m still not sure what the difference is between an A.I. editor or changing the A.I. settings. Even if their is a difference, I''m not sure why it would piss anyone off, or be laughed at. The demo/game is free to download, their is no scam or gimmik, no one is forced to do anything they don''t want to.

Also I am not familiar with the AI community at Gamedev, but I just thought some people would be interested in whipping up an AI editor program. Apologies for anyone who took the post the wrong way and please ignore it in the future.

Chris Chunick
Ambient Software Inc.
Corporate Communications & Development
Phone: 1-800-219-3093
http://www.X-Hex.com
http://www.CanadaRent.net
The GameDev forum occasionally attracts people with posts of the sort:

"Hi, My name is Neo!, I got an idia for a really Kool game and I want a WORLD CLASS CODER to cum and program it. I wont b able to offer any munny but it will sell loads and u will get a share of the profits! I am really profeshonal and this game will B big! Lets get rich!!!!"

Unfortunately your post (although your grammar and spelling was fine ) looked, at first glance, like one of these. Just another guy asking for a lot of work for nothing...

To most AI programmers, there is a whole universe of difference between the meanings of the words ''building an AI Editor'' and ''tweaking AI Settings''. Several weeks difference in fact...

ai-junkie.com
That makes sense, now I understand, I guess the original post might of come off a little strong. Again the intention is purely for the hobbyist programmer that might enjoy the game and would like to create or edit or modify how the AI works/uses weapons and share it with others. We could create an editor, which we probably what we will do if no one is interested, but what fun is that? So we leave it open to the public. Unfortunately we are not in a position to offer any promises of money, so we can only give away a free game to people that get involved. But anyways it''s for fun or a challenge to the hobbyist/programmer. I really appreciate your insight into the matter.

Thanks
Chris Chunick
Ambient Software Inc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement