🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Controlling Timing..

Started by
1 comment, last by HellRiZZer 24 years, 1 month ago
hi everyone! If u know Mechcommander or any other game where there aren''t too much units to control, maybe my Q wuold be more easily to answer. The Q is: how to control timing of firing ? Like in Mech i got 3 small laser, 4 PPC''s, 5 Long range Rockets and 1 AutoCannon.. So, how can I control each one in terms of timing? Like, laser shoots every 3d second, rocket - 4th and so on.. Do I have to make a lot of timers (would be not good) for each weaponor there is another way like flag?? Thanks who will answer!! I''ll try to help anyone if someone will try to answer mine or not.. just ask!!
Advertisement
Forget about random timing, use some form of fuzzy state machine with a series of heuristics to decide what to fire and when. Each weapon has a different set of attributes. Total range, damage, amount of ammunition, accuracy (at different ranges). There will always be a best answer, the laser is overheating so use the autocannon. The target''s far away use the LRR, the target''s moving fast use a fast moving weapon. Each weapon will also have a firing rate inhibiting when it can be fired and there will also be situations when the heuristics decide that no weapon should be fired due to a a lack of need or lack of an appropriate gun.

Make sense?

Mike
Thanks for that!!
I already got one answer from a guy and I will try to combine yours and his together, ok??
So, nobody will fell his misuse..
You all help me a lot...
Here is another Q: If I want to make animated tiles, where''s the best place to find them??
THANKS A LOT!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement