Advertisement

Weapons modelling

Started by January 04, 2003 10:44 PM
11 comments, last by Raymondo 21 years, 8 months ago
I suck so much at 3D modelling its not even funny, and I need some help before I go insane. I want to try my hand at some detailed weapons modelling, but i'm having hard time getting everything in the model to come together. (I think its my technique that is causing most of the problems. BTW: In Milkshape 3D I was able to create some pretty good Handguns that where textured, but when I made the jump to max, everything sucked. Here is the weapon I have been trying to model over and over in 3dsmax (I also tried gmax, to see if it was any easier) I set the image as viewport background (matched bmp, and locked), and then I create a simple box (Something like,9by9by9), converted it to an editable mesh, and moved the verts around to fit the guns shape. From there, I attempted to create the iron sight at the front (which turned out not to bad), added a dip to the front of gun by scaling it (Blck area at tip of gun, right below the barrel area.), from there, I think everything went to hell. I Started to run out of verts to create the proper shape, and all the faces started to look very un-uniform and placed improperly. To get a better understanding of what I mean take a look at this Here is what I would like to know 1) A making a cube, and moving around the verts a good method for creating semi-detailed weapons? If not, whats a better way to go about it? 2)Which areas of the gun should I be creating individually and welding together? 3) What can I improve, (In regards to my modelling technique, and this model in specific) and what are the steps in doing so? 4) How would I go about animating this handgun? ( You don't need to show me, a tutorial link or 2 would do) Thanks in advance, Raymondo [Edit] I cut down the image sizes a little, sorry if they are still too big [/edit] [edited by - raymondo on January 4, 2003 11:59:30 PM]
I''m not that good of a modeler, but a general tip about animation that I have learned, model the peices you want to move on the model seperately, IE the top of the gun(the thing that slides back when you fire to expel the casing), the gun body and the trigger.
Advertisement
Yes I agree with AP, I would go for modelling seperate pieces. I am no expert in gun, but I''ve seen gun taken apart. You should model this parts individually and put it together later.

For details, like the handle, use height map or bump map.

I don''t suggest moving vertices around either, but cut them, ie create new ones. If you move vertices you easily get non planar faces and that will make it non uniform.

Also use flat shading might help get things started.

For curved surfaces use spline, it will be alot easier.
Well, here''s a little tip for you.

Don''t set the image to the viewport background.. I create a quadpatch and texture it on there. That way you can zoom in on it.(Actually, my viewport background is all messed up.)

I usually use a spline tool and outline the entire gun. Then extrude it. (I learned this from a book) After that I would turn every edges visible... Then I start adding vertecies and slicing places or collapse them to create a more realistic model.

Is this for a game? If this is for a game I would not recomend you to animate it. But, if it''s not for a game then go for a higher polygon count(That is if you are not really good at adding vertecies through various methods) Just use a big cube.
It is my pleasure to help you out... Or it''s your pleasure to help me out... ^(^
I suggest you model the clip separately also. And make sure there''s corresponding slot for the clip.
a while ago i modeled a pulse rifle in xsi. i started out with a cube, but merged it with other types of geometry that were easier to just merge, as opposed to making them out of the cube. for example, to make the barrel i just merged the existing gun with a cylinder that i had moved into place. i also used rotoscoping to make sure i had the scale correct.

www.rpi.edu/~sorenp3/prifle.jpg

the only thing that''s seperate is the thing used to load another grenade (anyone know what it''s called?). i suppose i could have modeled other things seperate such as the clip, but it can''t be *too* detailed since it will be used in-game.

wire frame pic:
www.rpi.edu/~sorenp3/wire.jpg

i havent really used 3ds max all that much, so i dont know how it''s modeling techniques compare to xsi''s, but i have found that the above mentioned method works pretty well. i''m sure 3ds max must have comparable techniques.
Advertisement
Every time i apply a texture to the quad patch the texture doesnt show up in the view port how do you make it show up.
quote: Original post by Micromania
Every time i apply a texture to the quad patch the texture doesnt show up in the view port how do you make it show up.

read the manual.
Thanks for being help full.
Thanks for being help full.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement