🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Neural Networks

Started by
0 comments, last by neonfaktory 21 years, 6 months ago
Holy~! Neural Networks (NNs?) sound REALLY cool. I don''t wanna come off as an idiot, but they sound SUPER SWEET d00d!!1 Aww... Objective Failed... but seriously, they sound really interesting and I''m excited to learn about them. Haha, I came up with this AI idea when I was like, in 8th grade for some really crappy sub-marine battle game I was making on my TI-82 where the AI would "evolve" based on the actions around it. So when bad stuff happened to the AI it would store the scenario and try to avoid it... needless to say it SUCKED, but NNs sound like they are already studied and a solid AI foundation to work from that''s similar to this "evolving AI" idea. Haha, and I thought the idea was mine... , but still! Can anybody provide some resources perhaps for learning about them? Hopefully as pertaining to programming/games? I did some quick searches and they came up with like, biology stuff about brains and what-not SOO I was hoping some of you NN vets can provide me with some assistance. Thanks for any help!
weee!
Advertisement
Yes, neural networks are really cool
But they are considered an "exotic" AI technique and most games use more conventional methods (e.g. state-machines).

To learn more about neural networks, I think the fisrt place to visit is ai-junkie
It has a very good, easy to understand NN tutorial and also a Genetic Algorithms tutorial (another cool thing )

You can also check out my NeuroDriver project at http://gpdev.net (shameless plug )

It demonstrates a car controlled by a neural-network.
You drive around the track and the data collected during your driving session is then used to train the neural-network.
After the network is trained you can watch the AI drive (or try to drive) around the track.
There are also links to resources I used for the project.
I hope you find it useful!

Gideon
http://gpdev.net

[edited by - gpdev on January 9, 2003 8:34:05 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement