Advertisement

airbrush help?????

Started by January 13, 2003 12:57 PM
2 comments, last by mentalstatement 21 years, 8 months ago
hello, im thinkin of getting into airbrushing (real airbrushing, not pc) however, i really know nothing about them. can someone help me out here??? the one im thinking of getting is a badger 100LG, do u think this airbrush is good for creating artwork on a relatively small scale?? also, ive seen some cheaper brushes, under 40$, do u think i should consider going with one of those, to same a few $$$. thanks alot...
Maaaaaaaahahaha. Who''s da king baby?
Badgers are quite popular, but i have an Iwata HP-B and i wouldn’t use anything else. You also need a compressor that gives a constant air supply. One that stores the air and refills automatically. Otherwise you get splattering (yuk). Airbrushing takes time, quite a bit of time, and then you need to make stencils of your work so you don’t spray over every thing. Films good but its handy to have a photocopier and tape. I''m not trying to put you off, but you should think about getting some thing really cheap and a can of air and play with that first. I spent over £600 on my airbrush and compressor, i love it but if i hadn’t, what a waste.
Advertisement
Personally, I''ve heard several complaints from collegues who used Badger airbrushes (lower end, under $150 models) but I have never used them myself. Usually you get what you pay for. I have had great luck with Iwata airbrushes, and their Eclipse line give rather good quality for a decent price. In terms of air compressors I use a SimAir AC 100, it runs smoothly, has a moisture trap, adjustable output (from 10-150 psi), and runs very quietly. It only set me back around $300 CDN, and I haven''t had any real problems with it. You can also use compressed air canisters, but I''m not sure how you regulate the airflow, and the canisters aslo have to be secured to a wall. For masking your work, you can save a bundle by making your own frisket film. Just use standard celophane (a large roll only cost a couple of bucks) and then use rubber cement to mask it over your picture. The rubber cement should rub off right after you remove the celophane...hope this helps.
u guys seem to like itawa... what about the REVOLUTION CR, it''s in my price range, and seems to have some nice features???
Maaaaaaaahahaha. Who''s da king baby?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement