Advertisement

Any A.I programming examples or tutorials?

Started by February 02, 2003 01:08 PM
13 comments, last by Candy 21 years, 6 months ago
quote: Original post by InnocuousFox
Our great leader, Ferretbrain, has done a couple of real nice articles on flocking for the Programming Gems books and "AI Game Programming Wisdom". He''s at GameAI.com

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

"If I can see farther, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants."

Actually you just reminded me. There''s a bug in one of those flocking Gems I need to fix and send in to the publisher for the next revision. Minor really, but annoying nonetheless.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
GameAI.Com

quote: Original post by _Danneman_
(interesting .signature deleted purely in the interest of space, I swear)

As many have said it's his .sig ; I've no objection to it so long as further discussion of its meaning and whatnot goes to the Lounge. I've certainly seen stuff that's both more and less inflamatory.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

[edited by - Ferretman on February 7, 2003 12:02:54 AM]

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
GameAI.Com

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Ferretman

Actually you just reminded me. There's a bug in one of those flocking Gems I need to fix and send in to the publisher for the next revision. Minor really, but annoying nonetheless.

I am a reader of the Game Programming Gems 1 & 2, would u mind to tell me what's wrong in it?

Also, can u teach me how to turn on/off the "FLOCK_DEBUG" options when compling the program. Thanks a lot.

[edited by - Candy on February 9, 2003 4:15:23 AM]
Actually the game programming comunity miss , in my opinion ,a A.I. " Superbible "
"AI Techniques for Game Programming " by Mat Buckland is very good but it is focused on GA and ANN only.
I wonder wether these techniques are or can be really used on extensive basis in game programming.
On the contrary ,I can not really understand how "AI Game Programming Wisdom " can get so high scores.
This book deals with very pratical topics ( for a game programmer ) but if you concentrate 70 articles in about 400 pages how can you expect to provide real useful information?

quote: Original post by Ferretman
Actually you just reminded me. There''s a bug in one of those flocking Gems I need to fix and send in to the publisher for the next revision. Minor really, but annoying nonetheless.

I''m actually going to be experimenting with your flocking stuff to create my weather systems that move across the map. I was originally going to use a single point with an area of effect, but I wanted a bit more to it so I am going to flock a few points together each with their own x,y, direction, radius and intensity. Each of those factors can change slightly each hour but they will be trying to stay together. Should make for some interesting effects. I can even simulate fronts by stringing a few "centers" along at relativity fixed separations. It will be like layering flocking over formations! I may want to bounce some of that off of you one day at GDC - I got the beer tab!

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement