🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

so slooooww!

Started by
9 comments, last by lunasol 24 years, 1 month ago
Hi, i''m quite new in ogl world [and in 3d graphics programming] and i want to know why (even the simplest 3d scene : 2 sphere with circular move and 1 texture... ) the result is always VERY slow (i think under 3fps...) . I ve got a K6-333 and a voodoo2. please answer me! (sorry for my bad english) lunasol
Advertisement
Make sure you''re running the OpenGL application full screen, first of all. The VooDoo2 doesnt support windowed rendering in accelerated mode. Second, make sure you download the absolute latest reference drivers for your card from 3dfx.com. Older Voodoo2 drivers usually don''t support OpenGL at all, as far as I know. This should help.
thanks,
i was using windowed mode. i will try fullscreen (i don''t know how but i will find!) and tell how it works. For the drivers i think it''s ok (i download a driver from 3dfx.com last week)

happy lunasol
Check out some of the tutorials on nehe.gamedev.net. They explain changing to full screen, and such in detail.
Voodoo 2 cards dont replace the opengl32.dll because they dont support window''ed mode. so unless you load the 3dfx opengl driver manually, is your software using the microsoft software opengl driver or the one from your primary videocard.

if you have installet the newest reference drivers from 3dfx, find the 3dfxvgl.dll in the windows/system dir (or download the drivers and extract it).

Rename it to opengl32.dll and

A. Place it where your executable is ( or when in msvisual c++ also where your project file is)

and if that does''nt work, make a backup of the opengl32.dll in the windows/system and replace it.
Ries
now my app is running in fullscreen mode but it''s always very slow!! should i throw my voodoo2 away?!

troubled lunasol
Hmm, with some tinkering you can probly get it to work.. If you have the latest reference drivers from 3Dfx Interactive, then you should be fine.. You might want to try and copy 3dfxOGL.dll from your system directory to the directory of the executible you''re trying to run.. or 3dfxvgl.dll, whichever is the case with the voodoo2 drivers. Or, you could download the Banshee reference drivers and steal the 3dfxOGL.dll file from there, and see if you can use that. It might work.. It''s worth a try.
i put 3dfxOGL.dll (i can''t find a spot to download 3dfxvgl.dll) in my executable directory, ... and it it always slow. Then try to rename it by opengl32.dll but windoze close my app at the beginning (in french "opération non conforme")
one day it will work!

Lunasol
I don''t know what else to suggest.. Perhaps the voodoo2 doesn''t have OpenGL support.. I found a Voodoo, Voodoo2, and etc accelerated OpenGL library around somewhere, but i''m not sure where it is now.. That DLL gave most voodoo based cards 3d acceleration in OpenGL. The support that it did have, was very limited thow. I since stopped using it because 3dfx interactive started to improve the OpenGL support of my card, (Voodoo Banshee).
thanks for all Pentode. I think the best thing i can do is buy another card (which one i don''t know...)
bouh.... 3dfx sucks!

angry lunasol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement