I'm sick of your anti-vb attitude(AGAIN)...

Started by
25 comments, last by nes8bit 24 years, 3 months ago
The demo works fine for me, but I got one question exactly WHAT is PagerBombScripting Special?

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Advertisement
Here''s what I use:

Celeron 500
ABIT BP6 (Dual CPU card)
MS Intellimouse Explorer
Creative GeForce 256 DDR
Windows 2000

Although it can be a driver problem on my side I doubt it. I have had no problem initializing and acquiring the mouse in my programs, of course I use C++ while doing it but I don''t think MS does anything different there compared to VB.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

quote: Original post by Whirlwind

MS used VB to program all of their apps, and all of their apps have some sort of VB programming lingo embedded in them. MS uses it, it must be good! Actually, my friend got his son hooked on programming with it. Nothing like another console head hooked into the depths of programming....

I think Microsoft used C++ for most of their apps. VB: If MS uses it, it can''t be good if you look at their apps...

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
Errr... didn''t work for me...

It said to me "Do you have directx 7?" Yes i do!

Captured Reality Engine
Pager Bomb 4.0 Scripting Special
Application Name: MAINPROJECT
Current Time: 12:49:50
Current Date: 14/05/00
---------------------------------------------------------
Setting Default Screen Mode...
Change Resolution Failed!
Do you have DirectX7?
Captured Reality Initalization Failed!

Well, i''m running win95, with a banshee 16mb card...

wiseGuy

p.s. don''t try to "convert" people, just try to "enlighten" them!
It works fine on my P3@450Mhz, Win98, DirectX 7.0a, Diamond Viper V550 (8mb).

I wrote down the FPS for you per part of the demo (at a resolution of 640*480 and just the standard screens (except for Curves, with which i tried to get as much on screen as possible):
Curves: 22
Particlefun: 27
Rainfun: 69
Ripplefun: 49
School: 10

Oh, and there''s something wrong with recognizing VRAM. It says I''ve got almost 7mb, but I''ve got 8mb. Other than that, it works perfectly on my machine.

-my 2 cents-
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
The pager bomb scripting special is just a scripting program that I made last year as a prank. It is now used for some of my own common simple repetitive tasks. Don''t worry about that now. If you want more info on that you can read the readme file.

I''m glad it worked for thegoop. For a while I thought that I was just imagining the samples working. Anyhoo, here''s a 600kb update with more debugging (slows down about 2 frames) and there are more options to play with. I also made some improvements on the "map" dll files. Witchlord, try this demo, it has options to not initialize the keyboard or the mouse.

The patch that I made is not really a patch, so you have to uninstall the last captured reality engine if you have it and install this one AFTER that. The reason is that VB''s setup wizard does not overwrite the files that I wanted to. I spent a whole hour trying to figure this out, and I came up with ANOTHER setup program. If you never downloaded the previous demo, you better have the VB6 runtime because this one does not include it.

Thanks for your input

Click Here for the patch.
I am sure I have said this before, just gonna repeat it again.

I currently do rapid DB dev. with VB. It woks awesome, nothing connects DB information cleaner than VB, esp. with drag and drop OCX/ActiveX controls. Now... you are currently saying, ya so what the F(*$% does this have to do with 3D programs made with the DX7 API??

Well, quite simply, I have done that also. I made a 100% complete 3D engine in VB using DX7. Conclusions: it sucks. Just isn''t good enough for game development on the scale of Unreal Now, that doesn''t mean it sucks as a game programming language, just don''t expect to ever make quake 56 from it (well, maybe by the time quake 56 is around).

I have also done java, c/c++, python, ada, cobol, fortran, etc, etc. The point is, each one has a specific set of things it does better than most. Honestly, M$ never intended to use VB as a game programming language. That is 100000% appearant. The is also unfortunate. Even with support that they add to the DX SDK now, it is too late, as the language itself has matured from something "basic" into something specific (that being database connectivity, MFC prototyping and web based software).

If you want to make tetris, use VB.
if you want to make BSP culled interior 3D mazes, use C
if you want to make dynamic worlds ala MMORPG, use C++ (although I have been looking into java for something of this nature also).

When VB7 comes out, with its so called "polymorphic" capabilities, I''ll personally go back and check it out again for viability.

If anyone is interested in some of the code I have for the 3D engine I made (someplace between 50 and 75% complete at the time) go take a look at

www.bworks.com/ogre

Since then I have moved my codebase into C++ which has made doing things 100% easier. I don''t care how many people tell me a quadtree is easy to make in VB, it just isn''t efficent.

As for the demo, it was nice, but it is only a demo. Could get you a VB job though.

I was about to hit the flame button, but I saw that you are one with my people. (wtf?) so, that could get me a job? Cool.
It works...

For some reason it worked this time, and I didn''t even have to disable the mouse or keyboard. It wasn''t very fast in windowed mode though, just about 5 fps. In fullscreen I managed to get the school demo up to a rough medium of 50 fps.

The demos work, but they don''t look pretty in wireframe mode, but then again you probably didn''t make them to look pretty. (The school did have textures though)

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

quote: Original post by Joviex

I currently do rapid DB dev. with VB. It woks awesome, nothing connects DB information cleaner than VB, esp. with drag and drop OCX/ActiveX controls. Now... you are currently saying, ya so what the F(*$% does this have to do with 3D programs made with the DX7 API??

Joviex, have you ever used PowerBuilder? I''m assuming you haven''t because you probably wouldn''t have said "nothing ... easier than VB". Seriously, PowerBuilder blows VB out of the DB programming water. You should give it a look.

What is PowerBuilder? It''s a RAD similar to VB with some major differences. For one, it''s portable. It''s available under Windows, Mac, Unix, etc. It''s all contained: no need for external controls for database access. Two other things that are really nice: Embedded SQL and DataWindows. I''m not going to rant and rave about how awesome DataWindows are, but they give PowerBuilder a HUGE advantage over VB and any other languages I can think of. If you''re into Database programming, it''s really worth your time to check it out.

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement