🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need for a bias

Started by
1 comment, last by Viro 21 years, 5 months ago
I''m currently writing a Neural Network that calculates its activation using the Sigmoid Activation function, the formula given by 1 / (1 * exp(sum)) where sum is the sum of inputs to the specific neuron. Now I''m keen to know, is there a need for a bias/threshold in such a network, because I don''t seem to be using it, and this is a simple backpropagation network.
"Linux is not about free software, it is about community," -- Steve Balmer, Microsoft Chief Executive.
Advertisement
Depends on what function you ANN is supposed to approximate. You can approximate some functions with no bias but what''s the point in coding one like that? There''s little speed gain and your ANNS have much less functionality.

see

ftp://ftp.sas.com/pub/neural/FAQ2.html#A_bias

ai-junkie.com
The bias term allows the response function of the neural network to shift, whereas the other terms allow it to rotate or skew. Simply put: the bias term allows the neural network to output a non-zero response when all inputs are zeros.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement