🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Astar verification

Started by
3 comments, last by DefCom 21 years, 5 months ago
Does a* have to have both an open and a closed list to be declared as an a* algorithm? The reason i ask is i have implemented the a* agorithm but instead of using a closed list, i just have a closed state as part of my node object. Any light shed on this would be much appriciated, thanks
Advertisement
I just use an indexed priority queue.

ai-junkie.com
Hi,
Thanks Fup, I''ll explain what i''m upto. I am doing a report for university on the different approaches to pathinding. What i don''t what to do is say "And this is A*" and some moderator say "no it isn''t" and fail me. I have also bought your book to assist me with the genetic approach.

the universtity mathematic people like to define stuff, heh ?

well, all nodes with the member variable for the state set to close build up the close list, the same for open. There are ppl who prefer this flag approach, because they think it''s faster than lists/heaps, because it might be more cache efficient.

I doubt you cannot call that algorithm A* then, it''s the same like with the list, just the underlying data structure is maybe different to their implementations ...

maybe you check http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~botman/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=2&action=display#=4096

@$3.1415rin
It''s the algorithm that determines whether it''s A*, not the data structure used to implement it.

A* is simply a combination of best-first search plus a heuristic. The estimated cost at each node is given by:

c(n) = bf(n) + h(n)

nb. The heuristic must always underestimate the distance to the target for A* to work.

Thanks for buying my book, I hope you enjoy it

ai-junkie.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement