🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

rust effects

Started by
9 comments, last by deakin 24 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone have any good ways of creating rust effects using Paintshop Pro or Photoshop? Thanks, - Daniel
my homepage
- DanielMy homepage
Advertisement
deakin,

there are sites where you can download textures like rust, stone, tree bark, etc.,...

Also, if you have some photos of rust or magazine pics, just scan it in. You can use it in the "textures" filter or create a special brush by:
1)making sure it is a greyscale image and adjusting the contrast (higher contrast works well---not too high)
2)using the "object selection tool" or the "marquee" to select the area you want
3)go to the brush rollout menu and select "define brush"
...go nuts...make different sizes.

www.chewedpencil.com
I''d do something more along the lines of using the "render clouds" on a new layer, up the contrast to give you white regions, invert, lighten, shadow the edges, set the blend mode to "darken". This''ll give you the chipping metal look. Then I''d make a new layer with some light noise, give is a vertical motion blur, then set this to darken. That''ll give you the detail to the rust. Then color in the area with a rust color.

I havn''t tried it, but I''d do something along those lines.

E:cb woof!
I just did a test with PhotoDelux using a method like the one I just said. You can fine tune it better:

There is an article at amadev.net that shows how to do a nice rust effect in PSP, so check it out, might be useful for you...

- Mr K

Edited by - Mr K on May 17, 2000 5:30:46 PM
Thanks everyone!

- Daniel
my homepage
- DanielMy homepage
There is a nice tutorial on phong.com that shows how to do rust effects in Photo shop.

-Geno
_-=+ Master of GFX +=-_
Hey, that phong.com is a COOL place! But I couldn''t find the rust tutorial. I liked the one on how to make a rock texture. Can''t wait to try that one out.

They must''ve taken the rust tutorial out. Cool place though.

www.chewedpencil.com
www.chewedpencil.com
The rust tutorial is called dripping slime.
This is only a tutorial for making rust effects to metal objects...............
It''s very good I made some realy cool stuff with it....

here is the url http://phong.com/tutorials/slime/

Master of GFX
_-=+ Master of GFX +=-_

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement