🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any 2d artists left?

Started by
17 comments, last by Hase 24 years ago
Recently there have been more and more discussions of 3d-based topics (rendering and textures). Is there anyone still doing lil sprites, backgrounds and 2d animations ("handpainted")? I´d like to know what you do, what you do it for and how you do it (Photoshop? Drawing Pads?) Q: how much may a good drawing pad cost? Some dealer told me the cheap ones were about $400, is that realistic?
Advertisement
Yes, I''m one of them.

I use Photoshop and a Wacom tablet when I draw. I believe the tablet cost about $200, but you can get a more accurate pricing on the Wacom homepage.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Huh, my message didn't save. Well, I'll post it again.

A couple of months ago I bought a Wacom Graphire tablet for about $100. I LOVE it! It's their lowend tablet, but it has everything I would need. Plus some nice software. It's on their site.

E:cb woof!

Edited by - dog135 on May 25, 2000 7:06:20 PM
Yes, get a Wacom tablet! I tried one out after Witchlord told me he liked it, and it''s really THE BEST thing for 2D artists!

Highly recommended!

Alex the Enigma
atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
2D artists?

Oh, in that case...hello!
Well, I''m currently knocking about with 3D modelling but primarily I work 2D/Traditional art.

I''ve used a Wacom pad, I liked it, but I can work quickly and effectively without it...but I''m still buying one because they is some stuff I could definately do faster!

Anyway, software-wise I use PhotoShop & Paintshop Pro.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Whoa, i guess i´ll be buying one as soon as i got the money.

I´ve seen some stuff (wow) done with pads, but so far the relatively steep price has deterred me.

Any of you doing pen and paper stuff? Or is this something that´s just not important in the gaming industry anymore?

I love ink or fineliners.
Anyone know Helnwein?
I''ve done graphics for 2D and 3D games.

Yes, 2D is still alive, as 2D is still needed for
certain 3D model surface textures.

I strongly recommend looking into Picture Publisher
as a real 2D graphics program for *real* artists.
http://www.micrografx.com/Picturepublisher
(in my experiance, Photoshop is a joke compared to this).

I''ve been drawing with just a mouse for six years, I
didn''t really find a graphics tablet any more helpful.
There are some cheaper ones, however avoid those with
proprietery cards. SCSI would be a good choice if
you want both Windows and Linux compatability.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
>>Any of you doing pen and paper stuff? Or is this something that´s just not important in the gaming industry anymore?

I love ink or fineliners<<

Whoa!
Yeah, its DEAD important! Unless you''re something special no-one is that interested in a artist who cannot do good traditional work. In any project, there are outline, illustration and concept pieces to be done, and someone has to do them. (And doing them on computer just isn''t workable!)

I use PS5 and a tablet. I find that the pressure sensitivity beats a mouse all to heck.

However, I find that I use my basic drawing ''skills'' more than any filter or effect (I guess old habbits die hard). I think some people have more of a flare for using imaging software and tend to rely on it more.

www.chewedpencil.com
www.chewedpencil.com
I do all my art on paper first, scan it in, then use the tablet to add color, shading, affects, etc.

I tried drawing from scratch with the tablet but I just couldn''t. I know some people who can, but they''re very few. It''s just easier to use physical paper when drawing the initial form.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement