🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL Optimizing?

Started by
5 comments, last by Prozak 24 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I''m new to Visual C++ and OpenGL, but I''m an old timer when it comes to graphics programming. I''ve been "playing" arround with OpenGL for a week now, and it seems very easy to grasp and programm. Things almost get done by themselfs. I guess my question is: Where can I optimize OpenGL? Can I be the one drawing the polys, can I calculate the normals, do the rotatations, in assembly? Or is it that OpenGl does not work this way? I''ve been told that Quake III Arena was done in OpenGL, so... Thanks to all, Jadar Karenine Hugo Ferreira
Advertisement
Well.. Most suggest lists over immediate mode.. But I haven''t looked that much into this yet. As for doing your own code, most of the time it''s optimized, but sometimes you can get better performance doing your own stuff.. For example, in the openGL SuperBible, it says you can calculate your normals into unit normals with glEnable(GL_NORMALIZE), but it has performance penalties... And since there is plenty of optimized SIMD code out there, I say give that a shot... The thing about doing some transformations and rotations with OpenGL is 1. It''s probaly less work, 2. if a card has T&L acceleration, it will use it.. But most cards don''t have it..

I personally like doing my own transformation stuff, but I also like to have chocolate milk in my Rice Crispies.. =)

--SR
----------------------------"To err is human... To really foul things up requires a computer.."----------------------------
the best and easiest way to optimize parts of your code is to create display list, all the calculations that are requered on the stuuf you put in a dip list are dont b4 te prog starts so it doesnt need to be calculated when the prog is running. there are a few other things like use triangl strips instead of triangle to minimise the number of vertex calls. go to www.opengl.org look around that site and there is quiete a lot on optimizasion.
the best and easiest way to optimize parts of your code is to create display list, all the calculations that are requered on the stuuf you put in a dip list are dont b4 te prog starts so it doesnt need to be calculated when the prog is running. there are a few other things like use triangl strips instead of triangle to minimise the number of vertex calls. go to www.opengl.org look around that site and there is quiete a lot on optimizasion.

~prevail by daring to fail~
slorry clicked the button 2wice

slorry clicked the button 2wice

oh yeah just rememberd use texture objects, there easy to use and a lot faster than loading up the texture each tim u need it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement