🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Want screenshots from my RTS Game? here?

Started by
29 comments, last by bogdanontanu 24 years ago
So the thing that most people would use assembly for...optimizing graphics code...you use ddraw, and use assembly for everything else? kinda backwards isnt?
Advertisement
What''s wrong with Direct Draw? I am sure bogdanontanu wrote his own sprite drawing code (you did, didn''t you?).

-Andreas
-Andreas
bogdanontanu,

how do you create your shadows?

I know how to blend them, but how are you preparing them?

are you creating a black mask graphic beforehand for each
sprite, which would mean you have to create a mask for every
single tile graphic, or are you creating the mask in software
from the image itself?

Hi
yes i wrote ALL in ASM no line of code is in smthing else...

it only took 2 months from scratch to the whole engine:
units/propreties
terrain scroll /save/load
commands
cloack/alpha
menus/interface
fog of war
pathfinding(best algo ever)/plus simple AI

of course i use ddraw for init and backbuffer flip..some other blits, some clipper...and thats all

i have also a lot of my own blitting routines also

its not so hard as articlea point it out on game.dev asm i almost the same with high level languages in windows api...
and directx api...

it also helped to clear my mind a lot about windows/classes etc...now i know a lot more about windows internals
all those legends of multitask have dissapeared in thin smoke for example...

to be onest i have to tell u that we are 2 ppl working at this project...its not me alone...but we kinda join up in front of a single PC discuss things ...and then one of us starts to code while the other makes funny comments
Teamwork ..lol

i think we will go to AI from mow on...always in ASM
Bogdan
obysoft
i make shadows inside my program from each bitmap i have loaded in memory...its no big deal...

just take a pixel at a time from current unit and render it to shadows surface then alpha blend it to "whats under this unit" buffer....
dont forget z coordinates as AIR units have bigger shadows, then buildings, then ground units have the smallest shadov

Bogdan
obysoft
bogdanontanu, your screen shots are very impressive.
But air units will infact have a smaller shadow then an equal sized unit that is on the ground. The higher up you are, the smaller your shadow you will be.

Possibility
very impressive indeed. The art is good, but your rendering needs some work. Look at the buildings - the shadows don''t line up with the bottom of the building where it touches the ground. The terrain is very tiled-looking, and where it changes it is in right-angles, losing all hope for forced perspective. My hint: for ground units, go from bottom to top of the sprite, like you are doing, and for each line you move up in the sprite, make the shadow lean that much farther to the side.

PS. how do you put pics on the message board? I have some low-res screen shots on my web page at www.geocities.com/benbeandogdilts/downloads.html
if you care. That is for my RTS game, BeanWars. It is, regrettably, almost 100% C++. However, it is the first large project I have ever worked on in C++, so I am learning the language and DirectX (ugh) at the same time while writing a project. Going is slow, but steady. I''ll put up some hi-res screenshots if you want (I''ll probably finalize it at 1024x768, or maybe selectable). You can see how I smoothed the terrain (I worked on that for days). Tell you what, I''ll give you my way for smoothing terrain for your pathfinding!

Good luck on the project!

~BenDilts( void );

Bean Dog
BeanDog: regrettably C++?????

write in whatever language you want - it's your game, personally i cant write in anything but C++ (preference, not ignorance)...but this is completely off topic...

bogdanontanu: nice, but lose the tiny grass texture.

you draw the sprites yourself? (i cant draw to save my life most art in my games is *cough* borrowed *cough* from other places )

Edited by - POINT on June 3, 2000 6:44:39 PM
bogdanontanu, your game looks pretty damn good.
The one recommendation I have is that, if you can write so much in pure assembly, why not have some kind of alternating grass texture?
Besides that, it''s looking good.

Possibility - maybe he meant that you can see all the shadows, instead of just parts as with units on the ground.

Take it easy,

-Mezz
Yeah, I sort of meant that. The way everything has a shadow, I can''t tell from just screenshots whether or not a unit is on the ground even!

Seriously, where do you get your art? Do you use some CAD program (3DSMAX?) or do you just draw them (no way, that''s impossible).

Just curious,

~BenDilts( void );

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement