Advertisement

Is this called AI?

Started by April 28, 2003 04:11 PM
2 comments, last by Xiachunyi 21 years, 4 months ago
Hello everyone, I''ve been making my game and have come upon a blockade. Would it be alright for me to implement and call the following an AI? My game is structured basically on commands issued from a third person, and I thought about just using several random number generators with limitation algorithms to generate a pseudo-"player". With this be called an AI, or something else? Thanks in advance.
In the area of game programming you can call anything AI. You might as well use the Mersenne Twister (http://www.math.keio.ac.jp/~matumoto/emt.html) as you pseudo-random number generator and claim to use extremely complex, groundbreaking new algorithms for AI. I mean that PRNG was only invented a ''few''(created in 1996) years ago and its not simple, right?

Yes, Its AI =-)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Advertisement
Simply put, intelligence is the capacity to acquire and apply knowledge. (www.dictionary.com) "Artificial" implies a simulation created by us, as people. Therefore AI would be a certain program that has the capacity to receive a form of input and transform it into a result. Basically, a program that has an output like...
WHAT IS YOUR NAME?
? RuneLancer
HELLO RuneLancer!
...is intelligent. It receives an input (the user''s name) and produces an output based on the input it receives (a customized greeting).

Your program draws its input from "random" numbers and treats that data to produce a certain controlled output. Thus, it''s an AI. Not as spectacular as one that would learn and adapt, but an AI nevertheless.
Alright, I understand. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement