Advertisement

Book recommendations

Started by May 18, 2003 08:07 PM
3 comments, last by kordova 21 years, 3 months ago
To start with, I'm entirely new to artificial intelligence or what have you. Does anyone have any good beginner book recommendations with which I might establish a strong enough selection to better understand this topic? I don't know what neural networks are, I've read little on fuzzy logic and I think you get the point with that. What I really would like is at least one book with actual implementations/applications (read: source/demos) as I've always found those the strongest teaching reinforcement for me, though I enjoy theory resources as well. I hope that had enough focus/direction for you to get the point, and thanks ahead. EDIT: and if it matters, I'm not particularly interested in gamedev though if there's a reason to touch upon that then I'm certainly willing. Also, as I mill about Amazon, I'm noticing a heavy trend towards Lisp implementation. I'm interested primarily in theory and c/c++, but would working with Lisp really be worth looking into for this sort of interest and how so? Thanks again. [edited by - kordova on May 19, 2003 2:05:21 AM]
Look at the top menu bar of this web page. See the section on Resources ? Both the Articles & Resources and Books and Software sections should be of interest to you. Look there first, and if you still have specific questions, then ask them.

Eric
Advertisement
Haha. I''ve pointed out the same so many times and in my entirely sudden interest I don''t know how I neglected to give that option thought. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Cheers.
Well, since you are familiar with fuzzy logic, it makes sense to use a forum as a way to search for information instead of a database, doesnt it? Its just easier to put forth your needs in a linguistic manner to other people, than to dissect them in a way that will make sense to a DB. So instead of always bugging people who doesnt feel comfortable with google or other searches and get all pissed (in general - Geta was polite ), why not just help

Anyway kordova, what you are looking for is without a doubt this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/193184108X/qid=1035328480/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-3807558-0158328?v=glance&n=507846

It explains Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks in a very easy to understand way, both theory and practical, in C++, for gamedevelopers. And the support from the writer is very good, so youll get your questions answered quickly.

Good luck!

----PATRIOTISM----
“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”
— Julius Caesar

"I am enormously proud to be an American. I would say that the things that our corporate-controlled government has done at best are shameful and at worst genocidal-but there''s an incredible and a permanent culture of resistance in this country that I''m very proud to be a part of."
Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
quote: Original post by _Danneman_
all pissed (in general - Geta was polite ), why not just help

There is an old saying, "Give a man a fish, and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime." Doing it your way, by "just help[ing]" is actually doing a dis-service to the person asking the question. Think about it.

After you have thought about it, then if you still want to be the person who "just helps", then we can put you in charge of answering all the same questions that are posted to this site. Over and over.

Eric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement