🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Scripting Mastery

Started by
3 comments, last by Hippokrates 21 years, 1 month ago
Is anyone out there who could tell me if this book is to be recommended? What kind of Scripting System is explained? How is it (generally) implemented?
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
Advertisement
I created one based on functions and events. It had the generic required main function and then the user had to registered custom function names based on the game's events. The scripting itself actually looked similar to a combination of VB and C++..

[EDIT] I had the program load the text file containing the script into an array, parsed it so that it could understand what the user was talking about, and then called the events and functions as the game was in motion.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

[edited by - Rob Loach on May 24, 2003 7:20:12 PM]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Sorry, I can''t quite follow...
are you talking about the book or about a scripting engine you did on your own?
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
The book is good, mainly three parts, an intro, a section on using other languages then a huge whooping section on implementation and further theory.

Definatly recomend this one.

(damn my reviews suck).
Basically, the book goes over different free scripting engines, like python and Lua...

Then they create a compiled scripting language..

basically, they break their scripting language into pseudo-asm, and then their scripting engine interprets that.

It''s one way to tackle the scripting engine problem, and since .net and java handle it that way, its prolly a good system to use...

I''d recommend it if you are going to code your own scripting language. If you just want to use an existing language, its better to just look at tutorials online, gamedev.net covers Lua...
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement