🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Win32

Started by
17 comments, last by SKSlayer 24 years ago
Where can I find tutorials for Win32 programming (I HATE MFC, THAT STINKS, THAT EATS MEMORY, THAT IS UNUSABLE)
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
Advertisement
I would also lieke a simple tutorial on the Win32 API. I have some docs and NeHe''s tutorials helped a bit, but I need more.

Morgan
You can find ALL the win 32 API functions and a brief SDK about them, in the CD of C++ Builder 3.0 (but also in release 1.0 you can find it)
It''s about 40 Mb of Help files (the bigger is 32 Mb) that allow you to know all you need for.
It'' very easy to find it.
They helped me very much.

//-------------
Making Funny Fake Codes
//-------------
//-------------A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.http://members.xoom.it/NinjaCross
what exactly do you base your opinion of MFC on? considering its just a set of wrapper classes for standard win32 functions, if you think that its "unusable," you should probably eschew the windows platform altogether.

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

--Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.
Probably cuz there is less creativity in MFC, just try to do a transparent menu on right click ...

Otherwise, let''s ask my question in an other way, where can I find W32 tutorialz ON THE NET ?
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
Good point goltrpoat. MFC is great for business applications that need a high quality program fast. One of my friends calls himselft a programmer. The only thing he knows how to do is setup an MFC app and press the compile button.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
If you want a GOOD book on Windows programming(No MFC I promise), check out Programming Windows Fifth Edition by Charles Petzold. It assumes knowledge of C, and that''s it, and it takes you from "Hello World" Win32 style to multithreading, DLL''s, Common Controls, Multiple Document Interface apps, everything. When I''m coding, I look in the index of the Petzold book before I use the online help in VC.
A short tutorial can be found at

http://bcgrizzly.com/~forger/winprog/tutorial.

Be warned though. Although you might not like MFC, and although it does make your code "bloated", pure win32 code will be much, much longer, more spaghetti like (unless you really know what you are doing), and probably not as optimized.
Do you mean set up a MFC app or use a wizard to set up a MFC app?

Actually, I'd say MFC makes programming easier by making it harder... but yes, it really does cut down on code: a Win32 hello world is almost twice as big as a MFC hello world.

Edited by - Jeranon on June 9, 2000 10:50:27 AM
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
julio, you''ve obviously never had to code a UI under windows, or game tools, or a map editor, or.. ok, i''ll stop now.

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

--Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement