🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tcl as scripting language

Started by
4 comments, last by drslush 21 years, 1 month ago
Has anyone used Tcl as a scripting language in a game? How has it worked out? Also, can anyone point me to a tutorial on using Tcl as a scripting language, or point me in the right google-direction?
Advertisement
What is TCL??

Y not use LUA or sumthin?
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
Look at 'The Nebula Device'
It uses tcl.

www.radonlabs.de
nebuladevice.sf.net

[edited by - Zerot on May 28, 2003 4:41:00 PM]
i used TCL in a game, it was a very little game, i used to make the enemies move and the AI of the Boss.
it was nothing complicated but it''s not very powerful.
it''s very good for starters. but when you want more complicated tasks, you can see a leak there.

it''s very easy to learn. but all types are strings. of course you can cast them.. but it''s not good at lists either.

well. thats my experience.. maybe you want to use python, lisp or something like that.

I''d recommend Perl or Python over TCL. If you want just the Tk portion, you have modules you can access via quite a few languages. I found TCL quite annoying because it forced a programming style on you ( perhaps that requirement is gone.. brace placement used to have to be on the same line as the functions, etc ) and everything was a string as someone already mentioned.

It seems a lot of people are using Python these days for various facets of game environments. You might want to give it a shot, I think you''ll like it more than TCL most likely.

.zfod
Thanks for the advice, I''ll look into using python and perl as scripting languages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement