🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Half Life 2 SDK & Mods

Started by
34 comments, last by Prozak 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, for you guys that are aware that Half-Life 2 might be coming this year still, and that its SDK will be out even sooner, I would like to ask where I can join a group of modders, ''cause I would like to be in a Team, doing some mods. Thanx, and lets all turn religious and pray for the game this year

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams]
I Am Digerati.

Advertisement
http://city-17.net
Good to see that youre eager... just PLEASE dont make counter-strike for it. We dont need anyone to ruin HL2 in the way they ruined HL1

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
yea, counterstrike is ONLY the most popular online game right now and has been for like 2 years.

man, I bet the people at valve are so fucking pissed at that mod.
I''d suggest http://www.thewavelength.net/

That''s been the best resource for all Half-Life modding and will most likely be the definitive stop for HL2 modding.
Um, where''d you hear the SDK would be released before the game? That seems highly unlikely as it never happens. It took about four months for Half-Life''s SDK to be released after the game was. The best you can hope for is the SDK shipping with the game, which may be possible (one can hope) as Valve is obviously committed to aiding modders, as they are what made HL so popular.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Valve has said an SDK will ship as soon as August.

This is probably just the new version of hammer and the new model exporters. It doesn''t make much sense to release game source when it''s still subject to change.
Given the efforts the mod community poured into the previous game, it''s no surprise that Valve wants to bring them along as they move towards the next generation of technology. Beyond simply releasing the textures and properties to the mod community, Valve will even hold a workshop this summer for modders and will release the SDK to them early. Hopefully, by the time Half-Life 2 ships, there will be plenty of user-created content available. Since Source uses a modified version of the Havoc physics code, Valve has made things easier still by authorizing the use of Havoc for all Source licensees.
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/may03/halflife2pc/index4.shtml

I actually read somewhere that the SDK would be come out immediatly before the game launch. Whats does this mean? maybe a month or a week before the game launch.
We will probably be downloading it form FilePlanet, or something...

In Quake 3, classical Half-Life, I wasn''t very interested in the mod scene, but now, with that engine, its sounds a spetacular endeavour.

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams]
I Am Digerati.

So is this new engine a completely new design, or is it based off of another engine (like how HL1 was based on Q2 source code)?
That's just my understanding; I could be wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement