🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

But Do I NEED To?

Started by
3 comments, last by Jackbunny 21 years ago
I''ve been researching a lot about scripting and I''ve been debating about wether or not I actually need to use one for my game. The game is based off of an old board game called feudal. It''s sort of a chess game with more pieces and squares. That''s over simplifying but you get the gist I hope. I was parsing over all the reasons I would need scripting. The biggest one I came up with is AI. When I finally get around to programming the AI I''m quite certain I''m going to be tweaking a lot and I''d hate to recompile everytime I decide the computer needs to stop doing stupid things (or do more stupid things). I tried to think of other reasons. I came up with a few nickle and dime things that I could use scripting for, but I don''t think is neccesary. Stuff like camera movement, piece animations, etc. Does anyone have any advice? Should I attempt to put together my own slapstick scripter, or use something along the lines of Python, or is there another alternative? I''ve heard mention of using dlls for things like AI to avoid recompiling the whole project. Advice much appreciated. Thanks.
"I am Galstaff sorceror of light!""Then how come you had to cast magic missile?"
Advertisement
It isn''t that necessary here; it doesn''t look like your game will have much procedural content, which IMHO is where scripting languages shine.

If you do go for a scripting language, your two top choices will probably be Lua and Python. Each is very good.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
If I were you I''d do it just for the experience... but thats just me

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net | google
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
If you''re going to experiment with scripting, first FINSIH the game, and then, see how to implement scripting on it. You could get stuck on the scripting stuff risking yourself to never finish the game.

I tell you this because I know what it is to get stuck on something trivial and never finish what I originally started.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated. Now if I can tackle that darn directx stuff. Haha. I''ve got a good jump on things, I''m pretty sure I can do it.
"I am Galstaff sorceror of light!""Then how come you had to cast magic missile?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement