🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Interest in a plug-in script engine DLL?

Started by
1 comment, last by EdR 21 years ago
I''m writing a scripting engine for my game, but the thought just struck me that it''s entirely portable and extendable by anyone who''ll write a couple lines of code. VC++ and Visual Basic support (I wrote the backend to play nice with the tile-engine frontend I wrote in VB). I haven''t found any real limitations (although a do-while type loop was a little difficult to implement). Would anyone be interested in such a thingamabob?
http://edropple.com
Advertisement
Maybe if there were more details on the type of API (ie. a trivial example).

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Erk. Yeah. (Sorry, posted half-asleep. )

Here's a very generalized excerpt.

#EVENT_BLOCK# Define_InitializationDimSw Switch1DimSw Switch2DimC Counter1DimC Counter2#ENDBLOCK##EVENT_BLOCK# Check_IfIfAnd #ENDBLOCK##EVENT_BLOCK# Check_If:TrueBlockOKBox1 <thumbsup.gif|Both Switch1 and Switch2 are set true.>#ENDBLOCK##EVENT_BLOCK# Check_If:FalseBlockOKBox1 <thumbsdown.gif|One or both of Switch1 and Switch2 are set false.>#ENDBLOCK#    

That's a simple example of a basic AND operator type.

I personally designed this because I dislike Lua. This is not "truly" object oriented (which is not the be-all, end-all, thanks very much) yet, though I'm experimenting with ways to implement OO now. I also find that I can write in this faster than scripting in Lua, because since writing most of the game-specific functions is done by the programmer in his source files (I use a second .cpp file for mine), he generally knows exactly what everything does and if it's not well-named it's his fault .

It currently has only one mode of operation - interpreted - but I'm researching ways to also create bytecode-compiled ways as well.

EDIT: Spelling, grammar

[edited by - Edward Ropple on June 17, 2003 10:09:36 AM]
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement