🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Realtime interactive physics

Started by
0 comments, last by WillC 24 years ago
Greetings! Would love some feedback from all you fellow Game Developers out there, on our new Interactive Physics Technology demo that we''ve just completed. Using MathEngine''s new Dynamics Toolkit V2 (still in Alpha), I hope we''ve created a glimse of the kind of interaction that games of the future will be giving to players. Check it out at... www.vividimage.co.uk (If you want to, you can click on the ''Actor'' button to skip the Flash intro). Be warned, the demo is 10MB....but (and I hope someone will back me up here), it is worth it. Please check the web site for minimum machine spec before downloading. Anyway....please let me know what your thoughts are about this kind of physics in games? Is this the ''next big leap'' in game technology, like going from 2D to 3D was? Or is it just something to keep processors busy now that hardware T&L has taken over all the 3D rendering? Are any other companies out their attempting anything like this? What are you experiences? Are the MathEngine/Havok/Ipion SDK''s the way forward, or should we be trying to do it all ourselves? There are a million other questions too...perhaps Gamedev.net needs a ''Physics'' discussion thread? Will Cowling Lead Programmer, Vivid Image will@vividimage.co.uk
Advertisement
Well, of course the simulation of more advanced physics in games is the logical next step. I haven''t checked out your program, but I have written a number of physic simulations, and I must say that the overall ''feel'' of motion that''s physicaly correct is really neat looking at. Especially the simulation of jelly-like objects can be very nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement