🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Newbie] Models (like NeHe's Porsche) How are they done / imported?

Started by
7 comments, last by Pure Krome 24 years ago
Hello again folks. When i was looking at things like the Porsche demo, or the RUNNING 2 Demo, how were those models developed? If they were developed using an external program (which is what i assumed -> eg. Softimage or 3D Studio Max), then how are they imported into the game. Lastly, any tutorials about importing into a game? -PK-
-PK-
Advertisement
Intresting question. Sorry but I don´t know either. In d3d you can make your models in ex. Lightwave and convert it to a x-file witch you can load in in the same way that you load a bitmap. Then you can add textures to it etc.

Gandalf the White

Gandalf the Black
The models were converted using a program called 3D Exploration which you can find here:

http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

>> The models were converted using a program

Please excuse my blond ignorance, but what do u exactly mean by converted?

Are the models done *IN* that program, and then exported into one of the various export options? AND THEN some import code *reads* it in??

-PK-
-PK-
Yes, hardcoding complex objects is quite difficult.
So usually, I make them with a modeller,then I save the objects as say a .3ds file and then I import it at runtime.
The .3ds is a well known format, so there are plenty
docs on how to reread it ( or rewrite if you are doing the
modeller ).
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Hey DungeonMaster!

I like your name. It remaind me of SGI old rpg, "Dungeon Master". One of the first 3D game developed i think. Still my favorit (beside Baldurs Gate).

Where can find those docs you´r talking about?

Gandalf the White

Gandalf the Black
Nods to Gandalf!!

SAME SAME! U beat me to it dude =P

Where can these docs be found pwease.

-PK-
-PK-
hi

>>>> The models were converted using a program
>>Please excuse my blond ignorance, but what do u exactly mean by converted?

1-load your model with 3dexploration
2-save as "opengl cpp code" or file->batch conversion (you can convert it in opengl display list or a sample app or only data)
3-that''s it

lunasol

Well, just try http://www.wotsit.org, they have plenty of information about many different file types.

pi~

Edited by - The_[PI]_ehT on June 19, 2000 12:06:33 PM
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement